Why are "chicken people" so...well.....NICE?

lceh

Songster
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
Central Virginia
I first started lurking on this site back in February, when DH agreed that my 7 y.o. DD could have a few banty hens in our backyard. Since then I have been continually amazed at how decent, thoughtful, helpful, and just plain nice chicken people -- especially those on BYC -- are! My parents were in the dog show world, and I grew up in the horse show world, and while I made plenty of good friends I just can't help but notice that those who enjoy their chickens are uniformly some of the nicest people I've ever run across. The trove of friendliness, compassion, and good old common sense is really amazing. I especially appreciate how encouraging you all are of the kids who own chickens, since my DD is deeply enthusiastic about her new 4-H club and hopes to expand her little flock one day. I also love that the hobby has been kept within economic reach by incredibly low show entry fees (compare those to horse show fees!) and testing fees (a local tester came to our house and charged my DD all of 50 cents to do a Pullorum test of her showmanship pullet -- and he also took the time to show her how to correctly hold her bird and gave her lots of other tips).

So, hats off to poultry people!! Kudos to you from one impressed mom. You're good folks.

Not to rain on your parade, but I think what you're seeing is the result of a well-run forum
smile.png
If you're a jerk, the mods make sure you don't get loose to do much jerking. We have excellent mods here; they seem to know just how much button-pushing to allow without having things blow up while still allowing for differences of views.

Not to say that chicken people aren't nice, but I'm betting they make up the usual cross-section of personalities. It'd be a strange world if they didn't!

True, the BYC mods do a great job! I've seen some pretty quick mod-work here keeping things civil. But not all of the nice chicken people I've met have been BYCers, I've run across quite a few here and there and continue to find awfully helpful people. Yep, I'm sure there are some duds (met some of those too). But maybe chicken people tend to be more down to earth somehow, I don't know. All I know is, I like 'em.

We have to be good or the chickens will get us....

Besides, if you aren't well behaved, no one will sell you those chicks you HAVE to have.
smile.png

No really, maybe it is just because some people who have a general empathy for animals have an inherent empathy towards others. Like all people, they seek out those like them. Also- the mods are totally awesome.

I totally agree with everything said in this thread about BYC. It's WONDERFUL. It's wonderful because of the moderators. They've probably achieved a sort of critical mass of soft-hearted people here that attracts even more and repels a good number of jaded people.

bow.gif
Yay BYC moderators and admins!
bow.gif

What you havent been on here long enough. I suggest you start a thread on any of the following topics and see what happens

Predator control
Housing temps in the winter
Show quality vs hatchery

the list goes on and on.

Just kidding there are a few topics that can fire a heated debate but pretty good folks in general

I frankly enjoy the heated debates and yes the mods do a great job when it gets personal or ugly

Quote:
You have to be a nicer person when they're watching! They're great people! Plus they know how to ban an unpleasant member!

I like to believe it is the daily therapy that we all receive doing the simple things involved with our chickens that help to keep us grounded. This site seems to have members from across the board who all understand this, not only do these goofy little birds provide us with wonderful eggs to enjoy and share, but they also entertain us with their goofy antics. The sense of pride I take every time I find an egg in the nestbox, or see a bird on the new roost in the run, it is pretty simple; but if feels like it is hardwired in me to have them around. I like to think I have become a calmer more relaxed person thanks to "my little chickens".
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom