Why are her feathers doing this?

nakstk

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Kalama, Washington
My SS's are 11 months old and only one has molted a minor molt. I thought that maybe Shirley was molting but her feathers haven't fallen out they just curled out like this and have stayed like this for over a month now. The other 4 SS's feathers are normal. Shirley's are the only ones doing this. They all eat the same feed Albers Country Layer with 15% protein. They get to free range for a few hours a week and get kale, chard, watermelon rids, lettuce, spinach and Earth worms as treats. They have DE and ash dust baths all the time and I put DE in their coop and nest box. We don't have a rooster and Shirley is the dominant pullet. Is this something I should be concerned with?

Incomplete frizzle gene is about all I can figure. I'm a little confused about that molt - generally chickens don't molt until they are at least 18 months old.
This feather curl has just recently started, like in the last 6 weeks or so. They have been fully feathered for months. So I don't understand why they would just start poking out like that suddenly.

About the molt, that's what I thought too is that they had to be older. But I am pretty sure that's what it was. She lost feather in her tail and up on her head and neck. They were falling out when she would shake after a dust bath or when she would preen herself. I checked her for mites n lice and seen nothing but the new feathers pushing the old ones out. She was only about 8.5 to 9 months old. It was just the end of March beginning of April. I took a few pics of her while she was molting I will have to look them up

I posted this 6 months ago since then Shirley has molted and her new feathers are doing the same thing. Please note that I have no intention of breeding any of my girls they are strictly for egg laying. So if this is just a funky genetic thing it will not be passed down.

Back
Top Bottom