Why are my 2month only chuckars dying one after another?

Schmeel38

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
My chuckars all of a sudden are dying one after another each day. I just went in to check on them and another is laying there lifeless breathing heavy and making these odd sounds. By morning I expect to go in there and find another dead. This just happend all of a sudden in spirts. PLEASE HELP. I even moved them to a totally new location to try and remove the spread of whatever.

You can freeze the next one that dies and take it to a vet or extension agent for a necropsy so they can determine the cause and quickly get it taken care of. I'm not familiar with chuckars but you can look around on this site for posts about respiratory issues and see if any of the more specific symptoms look similar to yours? Sounds like it's spreading through your flock so if I were in your shoes I'd take it in for a professional determination ASAP so a treatment can be identified.

I am only 17 and I am raising these chuckars.. Will the vets be exspensive if I go and check?

Quote:
I was told that freezing destroys cellular structure and makes it impossible to definitively ascertain COD (cause of death). REFRIGERATE, do not freeze, and get the sample to the vet or if you're close enough to the lab site itself, take it there.

I would call a local vet (depending on where you live you could also call a university, esp if they have an extension program, animal clinic, or other relevant department). At the very least they can tell you what to do as far as freezing vs. refrigerating etc (idea behind both is to prevent the degradation of whatever is killing them - even things degrade in the fridge if they're left in there for too long). I'd mention to them that you're 17 and maybe they'll be able to give you a break. Won't cost anything to call and see...

My first questions would be:

Have they been wormed? even If they are on wire, they can get worms!

have they been given corid or another coccidiostat? Medicated feed help, but does not have enough in it to keep them from getting coccidiosis..

What kind of pen are they in? Have they been stressed lately by taking away from heat, moved, or anything in that nature?

There is a whole list of things that can go wrong with them at 2 months old. I'd like to know their care up to this happening, then I could tell you possible causes and try to help these birds through this!

They haven't been wormed. How do I do that? I'm 17 just started doing this and they do have medicated feed. They are on wire I just moved them outside today where the one is dying. 3 others died while being inside.

First thing I would do is go to the feed store and get 2 things! first is Wazine 17, which is a wormer and second thing is Corid. both are mixed with their drinking water.

The first day give the wormer in their water.. leave it for 24 hours or so.. Make sure they drink plenty of this!
When you remove the wormer from the water. start adding the corid to their water for at least 5 days.

This will not "fix" the near death chicks.. but it might save a few of the droopy ones.
I mix the wormer as described on the bottle for chickens. and the corid I add one teaspoon per gallon of water which is 2+ times what it calls for.. but you can't overdose using corid that I know of.. I do it and my chicks do fine with it!

Ok I will do that tomorrow, thanks alot for your help too. Do you think at 2 months old, they will be fine outside? it is about 67 degrees outside now umm theres 9 left will they be ok?

Back
Top Bottom