Why are my Barred Rock's toes bent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lynette, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure if this is anything major, but my Barred Rock has bent toes. None of my other chickens have this. I was wondering if it is something that Barred Rocks get since she is my only one. What could have caused this. I have had her since she was a chick. [​IMG]

2. lizzy06019

lizzy06019 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Connecticut
    This happened to one of my BLRW rooster's toe. I was told it was likely caused by an injury when he was younger (I raised him from a chick) and it just healed bent. I never saw him limp or act injured. He could have just jumped down from the roost the wrong way when he was little. Either way, his toe never stopped him from acting like a normal rooster.

3. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I have a couple like this! I have been told injury when young and genetic. Either way if you catch it at a young age (chicks) You can tape their toes to splints and they will correct in a couple of days! My older birds have no problems with limps/roosting nothing! Normal as can be!!

God Bless!

4. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

It doesn't seem to bother her, so I guess she is okay. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by