Why are my chickens dying?? Another one today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamband, Jul 14, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    ok quick story is I got 30 chicks that were 2 weeks old. They are now 14 weeks old. One died at like 5 weeks. Ok normal. All is fine for a long time and then 2 weeks ago one died, about 5 days ago another and today a 3rd one. No signs of attack, no broken skin etc. Just very limp necked bodies always laying in the corner?? Any ideas or suggesstions on what to look for? They are outside in a portable coop and free range within electric netting all day long. Thanks

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Sounds like Cocci!! You need to treat their water ASAP with Sulmet or Corid!!!

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Coccidiosis leaves your chicks looking like "vultures" humped up, fluffy, heads down below shoulders beaks to the floor, droppings will be bloody if at the stage your saying. Now when you say limp necks, are they shaking, pale and weak legs? Often this can be Mareks disease. They can just drop dead with no warning or start to roll their heads back labored breathing, and can flail their wings or legs. Not able to eat or drink due to physically not able to coordinate their bodies to.

Corid or Sulmet is a great place to start, will not hurt if its not Cocci, that is a quick easy cure and I hope that is it. Also, I don't know where you are, but if your birds should pick up some mold on grain, shavings etc, or in the water source, this can have negative health issues too.

Hope you can get ahead of all this, Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  5. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    Get some.. Sulfadimethoxine... I have some one hand now it was 25 bucks from mcmurry hatchery.. you can use it everyday very low level mixed with water as a maintenance then if they get it you ad more to the water,

6. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    Thanks you guys.

I havent really seen any major symptoms. I am just finding the dead birds. Well actually one was just laying in the corner sort of huddled up as I saw it just before it died....

I raise my birds organically so not sure I can administer those drugs if it is cocci? any other suggesstions?

If it is Mareks by chance is that just a death sentence for the whole flock?

Is there an affordable way I can actually tell? Should I attempt to treat for the cocci and see what happens?

7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know the organic way, but some say yogurt, unsweetened plain yogurt will help. If its Mareks, yes, some use st. johnswort claim it cures, but I am not sold at that. Either way, good luck and for me, I breed resistance to Mareks. If they become cripple I cull, if they survive then great. I have heard that turkey droppings are great to prevent Mareks, I'm trying that right now. Had brooding both, chicks that I know have been susceptible to Mareks and made sure they spent time with /beside turkeys.

Good luck and good luck!

8. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    Spook,

So are you saying you go with idea that the ones that die from it are weaker to begin with so its survival of the fit? I mean I am ok with that if its going to weed out the weak so to speak but I dont want to hurt my overall flock health.

I move their coop every 10 days to a fresh pasture using 1500 sq ft of electric netting so I dont think huge feces build up is an issue at all.

Would I see bloody stools from cocci? because I looked close and dont see any signs of blood.

I will try some yogurt or probiotics and maybe some DE to see if it helps a bit.

Just dont want to ignore a huge problem if one exists.

Thanks again

Oh and I am in western north carolina if that helps at all

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  9. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    anyone?

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would think Corid (amprolium) would be acceptable to the organic people as it's not an antibiotic, it's a thiamine inhibitor, inhibits the production of thiamine in the cocci. But I'm certainly not sure. It's also a lot easier on them than the sulfa drugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by