Why are my chickens feathers falling off

Grorres5576chicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 11, 2011
Shes about 1 year 2 months old, this has never happened to any of my chicken before, she used to free range, but then we got her inside this coop, and she did great for a week, but then she stopped laying, it's been four days since she last laid an egg, her mates are 2 chicken who are 4 months old, they are not experiencing any problems, and are doing great and laying every day, I'm quite worried actually, but I have no idea what's going on :(, and the feathers are falling all over her body

It sounds like your chicken is doing it's normal fall molt in preparation for warmer winter feathers. This happens to chickens usually after their first year. While they are losing their feathers they often don't lay any eggs, as all their body reserves are going to producing new feathers.

Don't worry. Just feed a little extra protein. Some chickens molt gradually over time and others lose lots of feathers in a short time and look pretty scruffy.

It will be OK!

Your chicken may be starting to molt. They usually stop laying during this time. But first molt usually occurs a year from when they started to lay. Your hen shouldn't start molt for another three or four months.

However, she may also be broody. Is she missing feathers mostly on her belly and breast? They will stop laying during this time, also. Does she want to just sit on a nest and nothing else? Does she puff up twice her size when you try to touch her?

Or she might be invested with parasites. If it's really bad, she might stop laying and lose feathers.

Not much help, but that's the best I can do with the information you've provided.

I don't think she has parasites cause the others don't act the same way as her, and they laid eggs almos every day, and still do, but not the one whose feathers are molting, I guess I'll just have to wait a bit, cause I don't know of any vets who treat chicken in my area

I also forgot to mention that she seems to have a little hard time walking, and she does not eat as well as she used to

Your chicken may be starting to molt. They usually stop laying during this time. But first molt usually occurs a year from when they started to lay. Your hen shouldn't start molt for another three or four months.

However, she may also be broody. Is she missing feathers mostly on her belly and breast? They will stop laying during this time, also. Does she want to just sit on a nest and nothing else? Does she puff up twice her size when you try to touch her?

Or she might be invested with parasites. If it's really bad, she might stop laying and lose feathers.

Not much help, but that's the best I can do with the information you've provided.
Chickens molt a year, more or less after they start egg laying. I was told the longer they go before molting, the better layer they are. Now this chicken could be a terrible layer or could have just had some changes in her life that made her molt prematurely.

What you really need to do is go post this on the, emergencies, illnesses and injuries forum. There's a sticky at the top in a blue square. Answer all the questions in the second one, then post the answers. This forum is monitored by experienced people who may be able to help you discover what's wrong with your little girl.

That she isn't eating and is having trouble walking is a big clue that something other than molting may be happening.

Back
Top Bottom