Why Are My Chickens Laying So Many Eggs??

venetianblinds

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013
Usk, British Columbia
Okay, so I have 2 ISA browns and I knew that they would probably lay an egg every day and they have. They started laying a few months ago and have both laid an egg EVERY day since they started! Then I got 2 Buff Orpingtons and figured they'd lay eggs every 2 or 3 days. NOPE! They're both laying an egg each every day! (they've been laying for 2 months now). I also have a Jersey Giant hen who started laying around the same time as the Orpingtons and she lays an egg about 5/7 days a week. I wasn't expecting so many eggs! Is this normal?

I'm not complaining at all; just wondering if it's healthy for the chickens.

Sounds like you just have a bunch of good layers. Nothing to worry about.
smile.png

Be happy, eat eggs!
First year layer often lay thru winter.....second year, not so much......unless you use supplemental lighting.
I'm using light but some of the older hens are molting and younger ones haven't started yet.

Okay, so I have 2 ISA browns and I knew that they would probably lay an egg every day and they have. They started laying a few months ago and have both laid an egg EVERY day since they started! Then I got 2 Buff Orpingtons and figured they'd lay eggs every 2 or 3 days. NOPE! They're both laying an egg each every day! (they've been laying for 2 months now). I also have a Jersey Giant hen who started laying around the same time as the Orpingtons and she lays an egg about 5/7 days a week. I wasn't expecting so many eggs! Is this normal?

I'm not complaining at all; just wondering if it's healthy for the chickens.

What a strange concern? Assuming it wasn't healthy for them, what would you do about it?

Sounds like you have some good layers! I'm surprised that mine are still laying as well as they are considering the lack of light (I do not give heat or light), out of 6 chickens I get 5, sometimes 4, eggs a day.

Our Wyandottes are 40 weeks old today, 1 Gold has never layed, the other Gold stopped laying about 3 weeks ago. The 2 silvers are laying 10 - 11 eggs a week. Hopefully the two Golds will get with the program PDQ as we are on pretty tight rations.

Back
Top Bottom