Why are my chickens not laying eggs?

donnamanion7

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2016
I have 3 chickens. My 2 year old leghorn does not miss a day of laying an egg. But my 1 year old barred rock and my 2 year old Rhode Island Red stopped laying the end of March. Only about 5 eggs were layed by the Red in July. They are well cared for, in a clean coop, get hand cut greens and grain daily. Why no eggs from these two?

The older a chicken gets, the less they lay. Chickens can’t and won’t lay every day of their life and they need breaks.

How hot is ti where you are? Sometimes that will affect there laying patter, but be aware that chickens peak on age early, they can live until there 13 but only lay until there 2-3. I have a mix of over chickens and younger chickens, and 3 out of 5 of my 2 year olds still lay regularly. My 6-8 older's lay extremely rarely. It is coming into fall though, egg production does go down in the fall especially for older hens.

I have 3 chickens. My 2 year old leghorn does not miss a day of laying an egg. But my 1 year old barred rock and my 2 year old Rhode Island Red stopped laying the end of March. Only about 5 eggs were layed by the Red in July. They are well cared for, in a clean coop, get hand cut greens and grain daily. Why no eggs from these two?
What is the regular chicken feed?
Do you free range?

And just to be sure......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1598276093018.png

Back
Top Bottom