Why are my chicks not growing?

chickengal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
I hatch a batch of chicks 8 weeks ago. The are mixed bantam. I gave several away and the ones I kept are A LOT smaller than the ones I gave away. The ones I gave away are probably three times bigger than mine. Also several of mine have died. Each time I blamed it on something I did. I was feeding them chicken crumbles that I feed the adult chickens. The people at the feed and seed said that would be fine. I just switched to start and grow and added electrolites to their water. What else should I do. The two I have left are under a light with the new babies I hatched two weeks ago. I hate to put them out since there are just two of them. HELP!

Starter and Grower is what they have needed so the change is good. They can stay on that until they start laying. Vitamins a couple times a week is good. A little ACV in their water once or twice would be nice. Then let nature take it's course.

Sorry the feed store gave you bad information originally. They need a different feed than the adults.

If they aren't really beating up the new chicks, they could coexist. Or separate them with a simple wire barrier so they are nearby and can see.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't quote me on this but I read that you DON'T want to keep them on this Starter feed until they start laying. The reason being is that the chick feed has antibiotic in it and you don't want them having this in their system when they start laying. I forget when you are supposed to switch them to Layena feed but it seems like you want a month or two for their systems to clear.

I switch from starter to layer in the 7-8 week range.

A fifty-fifty mix, then work to a full layer mix.

*(edit) Last week my wife brought home a bag of "pellet" chicken
food. Not Crumbles. Full grown chickens seem to enjoy it, the younger
chicks don't seem to prefer it. They still like the crumble size.

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't quote me on this but I read that you DON'T want to keep them on this Starter feed until they start laying. The reason being is that the chick feed has antibiotic in it and you don't want them having this in their system when they start laying. I forget when you are supposed to switch them to Layena feed but it seems like you want a month or two for their systems to clear.

Generallyif you are on a start and grow, you want to feed up to point of lay. Most do not contain a traditional antibiotic, just a cociodistant like amprol which is a thamine blocker to help build immunity to cocci, which is a protozoa. So you can eat the feed yourself just fine.

I move mine off starter about 12-15 weeks. I was told the starter, first has the medication and then higher protein which will make it difficult for them to lay eggs due to muscle. I have followed this and my flock has been healthy and happy.

Quote:

That depends on the formulation of the particular feed. The feed I use (Countryside Naturals) doesn't have any medication in it, and is formulated for chicks right up to point of laying. You have to read your label to know for sure what you're dealing with.

I could be wrong about this, but I thought medicated chick feed typically doesn't contain antibiotics, but a medication to prevent coccidiosis.

Quote:

Not all chick starter has antibiotics in it. We asked and also checked the tag on our feed...there are none in what we buy at TSC.

Bag says to feed til chicks are 10 to 12 weeks old; it is a starter/grower.

Back
Top Bottom