Why are my chicks so afraid of me??

dixie&trixie

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Yreka California
I just don’t understand why they act so frightened? Im always gentle with them, I tried yesterday to give them treats but they still run from me. I don’t know if it is their breed that’s make them a bit more skittish or if Im not doing something right. I read on here about chicken owners that have their birds eating out of their hands and following them around. How do I get mine to do that? I really enjoy having them around and I want them to feel safe not scared. Help?!?!?!?
hit.gif

Go to my page; I have taming info there. Don't want to spam here. Try my way; its easy enough for children to do it and works!

How old are they? They're scared because they are a prey animal....they are eaten by most carnivores and omnivores! It's in their instincts. They'll learn to trust you over time, but treats are definitely the way to their hearts. It will still take time. Feeding treats from your hand won't work the first time, but after about 5 times they should start running to you.

I used food to gain the trust of mine. At first the rejected some of the types of treats I tried but I found that raisins and especially crickets work well. Mine run to me now. I have 2 RIR and one Barred Rock. My BR is reluctant but the RIR’s are very friendly.

Mine follow me around. Are they chicks or hens. If they are hens did you hold them enough when they were chicks. If they are ens sit with them around you. They will get used to you soon

As stated,they think your big hand is a hawk......so they try to head for the hills or cover.
Just give them some time
When they are big kids and figure it all out, you won't be able to keep them away.
Trust me.............there is nothing in life like trying to walk to the barn with 50 chickens running to me.....LOL
I'd like to think they love me.but I know it is the chicken scratch their hoping for......
lol.png

And you will find they have different personalities.I have one little barred rock hen who follows me around the barn until I pick her up and carry her around for a few minutes..or sit in the lawn chair and pet her...........
Then I have a maran hen who does not care to be with people or the other chickens............ROOSTS BY HERSELF EVERY NIGHT............
We are pretty sure she thinks she is royalty.
Good Luck, and have fun

Why?? Because they're chickens. They're not called braves ya know. LOL
Seriously though, they will come around as they get older. Your leghorn is going to be scared the most because most leghorns are skiddish by nature. She is probably rubbing off on the RIR. I would give the RIR and BR the most attention for now. The leghorn will come around as she gets older, but might never be as friendly as the other two.
I do love my leghorns though. They are egg laying machines and mine lay super jumbo eggs. And they're funny birds too.

My chickies were scaredy pants for the first week or two, but now they are almost four weeks old and are very sweet, they get excited to see me and will jump on my hands, one even sleeps on my lap during movies! So just give it some time and they will learn to trust you.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom