Why are my ducks looking at me so funny?!?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member 11 Years

Just a quick story: I was outside today and walked by our ducks and noticed that one was looking at me really funny. Her head was cocked totally to the side... I was wondering if something was wrong with her since she never looks at us like that.

Then I noticed the other 2 ducks doing the same thing. OH NO... it's contagious! Then it hit me... "DUH... they are looking up!"

So, I followed their gaze upward to see a hawk circling above. [​IMG]

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member 11 Years

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    They see more than we do. Sometimes I can barely see what they are looking at.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My hens will do that also when an airplane flies overhead.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I love seeing my whole flock look up at the same time- usually at a bird or plane... The cutest though- was a duck I used to have with only 1 eye - it would cock its head...then turn its head and do it with the side that had the eye...[​IMG]

Hope the hawk didnt stay around long.

5. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    awee i love when they do that. soooo cute!

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member 11 Years

Not too worried about the hawks... all our girls are too fat for the ones we have around here, and they probably have plenty of easier things to eat.

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    mine do that with airplanes and seagulls. lol... Not many hawks here in chicago, that i've seen.... Our ducks once freaked out and hid in their dog house when a *gasp* newpaper flew in the air near by... so silly

8. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    My ducks do that too! Airplanes must look like very very BIG hawks!
    I think they are so smart- they notice much things much faster than I do. I make a crappy rooster. They get real tall and skinny and have their heads turned, looking up and I realize that something is up there- ninety percent of the time it is a seagull or an airplane (I live less than two miles from the airport), but many times it is a hawk.

When they were little, every time an airplane came over to prepare for landing, they would run as fast as their waddle-feet would let them right next to me. Now though, they just become pencil-thin. lol.

9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    My ducks have gotten fat and lazy and hardly notice a thing. They don't have to--their protector goose does all their watching for them. Even the drakes are lazy about it now.

Oh, and they totally ignore airplanes anyway, because we live a mile south and directly under a runway for a major international airport. They'd never eat at all if they were gazing at airplanes every time one went overhead! lol

10. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    I will never get enough of that look! LOL, they are so funny. I get it every time I go past a brooder. My older ducks do it in the yard of course, but the babies. They just look so wise when they do it. It's like the KNOW something...cracks me up! I missed it somewhere, what kind of ducks do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by