Why are my ducks looking at me so funny?!?!

Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Just a quick story: I was outside today and walked by our ducks and noticed that one was looking at me really funny. Her head was cocked totally to the side... I was wondering if something was wrong with her since she never looks at us like that.

Then I noticed the other 2 ducks doing the same thing. OH NO... it's contagious! Then it hit me... "DUH... they are looking up!"

So, I followed their gaze upward to see a hawk circling above.
big_smile.png

I love seeing my whole flock look up at the same time- usually at a bird or plane... The cutest though- was a duck I used to have with only 1 eye - it would cock its head...then turn its head and do it with the side that had the eye...
big_smile.png

Hope the hawk didnt stay around long.

mine do that with airplanes and seagulls. lol... Not many hawks here in chicago, that i've seen.... Our ducks once freaked out and hid in their dog house when a *gasp* newpaper flew in the air near by... so silly

My ducks do that too! Airplanes must look like very very BIG hawks!
I think they are so smart- they notice much things much faster than I do. I make a crappy rooster. They get real tall and skinny and have their heads turned, looking up and I realize that something is up there- ninety percent of the time it is a seagull or an airplane (I live less than two miles from the airport), but many times it is a hawk.

When they were little, every time an airplane came over to prepare for landing, they would run as fast as their waddle-feet would let them right next to me. Now though, they just become pencil-thin. lol.

My ducks have gotten fat and lazy and hardly notice a thing. They don't have to--their protector goose does all their watching for them. Even the drakes are lazy about it now.

Oh, and they totally ignore airplanes anyway, because we live a mile south and directly under a runway for a major international airport. They'd never eat at all if they were gazing at airplanes every time one went overhead! lol

I will never get enough of that look! LOL, they are so funny. I get it every time I go past a brooder. My older ducks do it in the yard of course, but the babies. They just look so wise when they do it. It's like the KNOW something...cracks me up! I missed it somewhere, what kind of ducks do you have?

Back
Top Bottom