Why are my hens attacking our only new rooster?

That's what I thought @Duckbreeder2020
If you want them to stop attacking him then take a crate and leave him in it in the coop with them for an hour a day then put him in his own area. Keep doing this for a little while and eventually start letting him walk around with him under your supervision. Do that for 3 days, then let him stay overnight and see how that goes

there will always be some quabbling going on in the first few days. It is generally recommended to seperate them via fencing so they can see each other but not attack for a few days to get used to one another first.
Even then the cock will eventually want to assume the position of the head hen and there will be a fight eventually. You just always hope it is a quick scuffle and doesn't cause injuries

When you introduce chickens, you can't just throw them in together and expect them to get along. You should always set them up where they share a portion of fence. Keep them side-by-side for a few weeks where they can look, chat, interact, but not touch.

Then try putting them together. There will always be some chasing/pecking/sparring when adding new chickens. That's how they establish their pecking order. However, once that settles, there should be no more harassing. It may take several attempts before they're all okay together.

When you introduce chickens, you can't just throw them in together and expect them to get along. You should always set them up where they share a portion of fence. Keep them side-by-side for a few weeks where they can look, chat, interact, but not touch.

Then try putting them together. There will always be some chasing/pecking/sparring when adding new chickens. That's how they establish their pecking order. However, once that settles, there should be no more harassing. It may take several attempts before they're all okay together.
Nope.
Just throw them together and let them work it out.
They're gonna squabble either way.

You shouldn’t really do that. The rooster or hens could get hurt
I haven't found that to be the case.
Every now and again someone can get in trouble and I'll remove them.
It always seems to be a subordinate cockerel with dominate roosters and that's going to happen with the look but don't touch method also.

Back
Top Bottom