1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why are my hens eggs getting smaller and smaller?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobthebunny, Aug 31, 2014.

1. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    Ok my first layer is my baby girl an Americana named Timid. [​IMG]She layed her first egg about 2 1/2 months ago now. Her first 2 weeks of eggs were small then one day they just got huge as big as store-bought eggs. She layed about 8 that size then her eggs slowly got smaller. At first I didn't worry because I thought she just wasn't getting enough hoppers. So I started letting them out at 8am instead of 9 30 that helped for a while she layed about 3 big eggs then stopped laying big eggs at all. I've tried walking her down to where the biggest grass hoppers nothing. The other hens eggs are now bigger then hers. I thought It could be the heat(live in Texas the high usually around 100) but I put a fan on her nothing. Help please.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]Can anyone answer this question??? [​IMG]
    I don't have an answer but hope someone with experience will respond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by