Why are my hens fighting????

Fluffychickens6

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 17, 2014
I have 2 hens, one buff orpington and one rhode island red. They haven't started laying yet... I got them in the summer (August) so I'm not rlly expecting eggs till spring?
but anyway, everyday around 3:00PM I let them out of the coop and as soon as they run out, not even 3 minutes, they start fighting???? Their neck feathers stand up and they fly at each other? The Buff seems to b the one starting the fights? Rhode island red moves a little or pecks at something and the Buff charges at her :/ how do i get them to make peace? I'm afraid they'll soon really hurt each other. I've never actually seen them peck each other hard and stuff, only seen them charge at each other. When they fight it kinda looks like this. Their combs arent fully developed either. Also..... I was wondering when will they start to lay? they're lyk 5-6 months right now. thank you!
Lily%20Boots%20Fight%202-14-06.jpg

oh that picture i got off from google, hehe srry forgot to mention that
D.gif

there arent any injuries that i know of. srry i dont have any photos of them fighting >-< they normally get along, with a few fights here and there, but now it's become more frequent, like everyday????

What you're describing is two individuals where one is unhappy with her rank, and she is challenging another for a higher one. Your Buff is challenging the Red and the Red is defending her place in the pecking order.

Usually, this is settled fairly quickly, but sometimes, it takes several days to work out. They aren't angry with each other, and it's not an issue of "getting along". It's Chicken World, and that's how it works.

Try not to interfere. Let them work it out. It will be more peaceful in the long run if you can let them settle it the way chickens need to. It's perfectly normal and you will see it occurring from time to time as they determine their places in the flock.

It could also be a result of hormones beginning to surge prior to onset of egg laying. Hormones may have them agitated and the Buff is feeling competitive. Have their combs and wattles begun to appear more red than the light pink they've been all along? That would indicate the hormones are flowing. Eggs will soon start appearing.

They will settle down after they begin to lay. Peace will once again reign in the kingdom.

Will pecking settle down also once they are all laying eggs? I have 5. One of them has pecked three and left one alone. Two were pecked bad enough that I had to separate them from the rest and put them in a large dog crate that is is inside the run and at night I was putting them in carriers inside the coop. Their wounds started to look infected and so I put them on Duramycin which I have since learned I probably didn't need to do. The feed store recommended it. Anyway, the pecking hen still likes to peck and she was the first one to start laying. The two she pecked have both started laying and we can't eat the eggs. I think a fourth has also started laying but I'm not sure. There is one egg that is a slight different color than the others. I am hoping by expanding their run and coop the pecking will stop. If not than the hen who pecks will either have to go to a new home or she gets her own coop and run.

Back
Top Bottom