Why are my meat birds dying?

HappyFarmLady

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
NE Kansas
I had 8 Cornish crosses that are 6 wks old. Last week we noticed some blood in the coop but weren't sure where it was coming from. Yesterday there was quite a bit of blood, pretty obvious that it was in the poop. I went to town and bought some wormer. By the time I got home, one bird was dead. Today another one is dead. I am expecting to lose at least one more because it had blood on its butt. Do you think it is from worms? or is something else going on?

BTW I also have 16 pullets that are 12 wks old, 2 EE pullets that I bought at the same time as the cornish, and 2 hens 1-1 1/2 yrs old, and a silkie rooster. None of the other birds are acting sick.

Need a little bit more info... more than likely the bloody droppings isn't what's killing them. Are they eating a high protein 24 / 7 ?

6 Weeks is about the age they start getting heart attacks if your overfeeding them. Would be interested in their feeding schedule.

I have to agree with Itzsy on this one....SOudns like coccidiosis. Tractor Supply company sells something called Corid which you can add to their water but I fear for you it ma be to late. How much do they weigh right now. If you are waiting till 8 weeks to butcher, theres time to treat them and still time to withdraw. Otherwise you may want to consider butchering them now? Are they pooping in their water? Are you keeping their are clean?

sounds like cocci to me

the gal i got mine from said she contacted michigan state university's people, and they told her meat birds should be fed medicated feed. overpopulating contributes, as well.

ours had a touch of it (why she contacted them), she fed the feed and it rid them of it. we fed it for a week or two after we got them, and they've been fine since on regular feed. they are also in a much larger area, not overcrowded.

get some medicated chick starter

OK, all of my birds have access to free range, but the meaties don't go out as often. They are fed nonmedicated chick grower along with the rest of my flock. Yes, they have access to the food 24/7.

I can't butcher them for another 2 wks because I gave them Wazine on Sunday. I'm not sure what they weigh.

Good news, they were all still alive this morning and pretty active. 6/7 were outside just a little bit ago.

How do you separate your meat birds from the rest of your flock in order to feed them separately?

Thank you for all of your help and ideas!!!!

I have 14 meaties that are housed with my layers. I put the layers feed up where they can fly up to a ledge so they have access to it when they need it (they also free range) and I feed the meaties when the hens are outside foraging. Meaties have a separate feeders and pretty much have it eaten by the time the hens come back in anyway. I don't have another way to keep them secure at night if I don't put them inside the coop with the hens. So far so good, they are growing well, not being picked on, and able to go out and "forage" as much as a meatie can!
wink.png

Good luck with your birds!

Back
Top Bottom