Why are my neighbors feeding MY dog??? -rant :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
What would they have to gain? Did they ask for restitution? You said they were friendly. You said the dog isn't hungry and wouldn't eat at home. I doubt they're lying. A dog outside all alone at night is bored. He's going to to occasionally wander off and look for something interesting to do. Unless you watch him 24/7, don't be so sure that he doesn't occasionally wander during the day also. We all love our dogs, but we can't be in denial. When they are left to their own devices with no restraint, they soon learn that they are in charge of themselves and often wander.

Ask your neighbors to take a pic of him in their yard and show it to you. Would you believe it then??? Why on earth would they say it if it wasn't true.

Last edited:
I don't think your neighbors are lying. You already said he hates cats and isn't eating at home. Your neighbors must be passive/aggressive freaks. Feed him, then want him gone? Weird.

I don't know why you're waiting to "catch him in the act". How will you train a dog that way? Staying on the property should have been part of basic training at a young age. At this point the dog should be fenced or brought inside.

I would never ever allow one of my animals to wander. I certainly wouldn't offer them up to target practice because I haven't trained them properly or contained them for their own safety. That's not really being a responsible pet owner. No offense - but I'm a dog lover and take their lives seriously.

He wont learn to not to go to the neighbors unless he hears the gunshot from THEIR place. He will still see it as "a place to get goodies and have fun killing cats" so if he gets gun fire from you, it just means he will try to be sneakier when he leaves....

The gunfire would have to come from your neighbors...so that he no longer associates it with goodies. Once fired at he will run home for protection....if the gunfire s comming from home, it may give him more reason to run to the neighbors...

?

e

Last edited:
IF you dog is on someone elses property, IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT. Feeding a dog has nothing to do with a dog killing another animal. It is your fault for letting the dog roam. They dog would not roam if confined at night. IF by chance they are feeding your dog, maybe they are wanting to keep it and trying to get it to stay. Tie up or confine your dog and feed it in the evening. That way it has no reason to roam.

Also you state that he has been shot at, well another indication that he roams and I hate to say, but shame on you for allowing it. As for fencing, your hardware (lowes, home depot, etc.) all sell dog pens. They are easily put up and taken down.

Are you waiting for someone to kill your dog before you take precautionary measures. Apparently roaming is a problem with him and you are the one not seeing it. Next you will finding him lying in the road DEAD.

Sorry, but shame on you as a canine owner.

No doubt I would drive past their house and fire the shot from somewhere on the other side. I'm not quite that ignorant about dog behavior.
roll.png
and I said he only had to SEE it.

And, that would be a very good point, that have no reason to lie. Smaking head here...
lol.png
Like I said they havnt said anything about it for awhile, and I have been tying him up most nights, except the times I am trying to catch him.

Oh, well no biggie, I was just ranting! And dont freak out, I am not letting my scary German Shepherd run the country murdering everyones cats all day and night, while I sit at home and watch soaps....

And not everyone buys puppys at a young age so they can train them... We rescued him from a dying old man. he is very well behaved, and now I feel like I am justifiing my rant here.... so I will say, he is not running amuk, I just was frustrated and venting. I am the first to take care of a problem dog, and not let it continue. Have an ice cream sandwich on me and
hugs.gif
everyone!

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif

and if your neighbor was here on BYC and posted their side of this in the predator and pests forum, we'd advise them to shoot the dog on sight. A fenced dog is one less likely to get in trouble. It's irresponsible to let them run amok and loose.

I absolutely agree.
My neighbors brother has pitbulls, and whenever he comes up he lets them go wherever they want, and of course, they want to go to the bird-girls house and terrorize my flock. Argh. Then when you go to chase them back across they growl.
Then they bought a jack russell after hearing about my aunts killing my goslings, and the 3 year old proceeded to tell me, "We bought him so he can kill your birds." Seriously, a 3 year old is only gonna tell me that if he's heard someone else say that!
Anyways, their pitbull ended up killing 2 of my ducks, and I'm making it a point that if I see either of their dogs on my property near my birds, ka-bang. End of that problem.

Bottom-line here. I'm going to play defense for both sides. You don't let your dog out intentionally expecting it to go to your neighbors. Common everyone, there's gotta be a lot of you who just open your door for your dogs, and let em go out, do their thing, and come back in. Personally, I have a dog yard thats fenced in.
Secondly, if someones dog was on my property killing my birds or cats, and I saw it, I'd shoot it.
And by feeding it, they are incouraging it to come back.

If you want to avoid this mess, go to your local walmart and buy one of those leash stakes that you stake it the ground, then leash him to it, he can do his thing and avoid the mess.

Last edited:
You fencing solution could be the wireless invisible fencing. It's relatively cheap compared to other fencing and it works like a dream! I have had mine for 4 years now and my GP mix and Lab mix have almost total range of my yard (approx. 1 acre) and can guard my free range chickens well.

Its the dog owner's responsibility to keep a dog on their property. There is always a chance that an unrestrained dog is wandering at night. The fact remains that your neighbor couldn't feed your dog if he was not on their property in the first place, ready and willing for a hand out.

Offering to let the neighbors shoot the dog if they find him on their place is making someone else responsible for your problem. If you don't care if he gets shot, why in the world are you keeping him in the first place?
hu.gif

I don't know who pays the homeowner's insurance at your rental, but if your dog destroys anything at your neighbor's house, they could file a claim against your homeowner's policy. If your landlord pays that policy, you may find yourself with a much worse problem on your hands.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Since you obviously know the whole story!
hu.gif
He was a rescue, I am guessing he was shot at going by his fear of guns. And the neighbors knew he was our dog, when they were feeding him.

Here let me quote it for you: "Hey keep your dog at home, he's been coming down sometimes at night. And we feed him." From the neighbor. And then later they told us he had killed their cats too.

I am now going to ask the moderators to close this, it is really a mess and very pointless. I know all about basic animal care, no need to send me through the wringer here. I was really thinking more about help with neighbor communications.

Nevermind.

Quote:
Yes, please don't put your neighbors in a situation where their only choice is to shoot him. It's bad for the dog, bad for the neighbors and bad for you. You will have to take a cold, hard look at the situation. If you are unable or unwilling to contain him, perhaps you could rehome him. Sometimes we have to make hard decisions when comes toour pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom