Why are My RIR hens so bloody noisy?

speyerk

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 19, 2012
Kapolei Hawaii
When I decided to keep backyard chickens, I was greatly concerned about disturbing my neighbors since I live in a sub and am not supposed to keep poultry. I thought by avoiding roosters I would have have sweetly clucking hens that wouldn't disturb anyone. I know they make a bit of a fuss when laying, but I had no Idea how loud 3 hens could be. All day long they screech and squawk like a cross between a hyena and a mynah bird. I find myself arguing, pleading, even negotiating (if you shut up I will give you snacks, and they just laugh and keep squawking!) to no avail. I always make sure they have plenty of fresh food and water, they get a snack from me every day, but they won't shut up and they are going to get me busted.

Is there a reason they are so loud? Am I missing some aspect of their care and happiness, or are they making a conscious effort to get me busted so I have to give them away? Should I have chosen a different breed? BYC didn't seem to have any info labeling these birds as the squawkiest birds known to man.....

I don't know that RIR are any louder than other breeds. Maybe you just have noisy individuals, or even one noisy individual who gets the others going. I have a couple of RIR (well, production reds) but they are not the noisy ones.

I wonder if you have inadvertently trained them that squawking brings treats. You could try going to see them without treats for a while and see if they get quieter. Maybe even figure a way to bring treats without their seeing or hearing you.

I have 13 chickens - my silkies and my golden comets are the quietest... my RIR makes some noise, but my white rocks and sex-links are louder than my two roosters...

I think it comes down to the bird itself, not breed and some inadvertant training on our part.

I would try to catch them when they are quiet and give them treats then - kinda like Pavlov's dog. Also, make sure that they have plenty of food - mine tend to get louder when the feeder is almost empty - kinda like they know and are asking for food. Also, look for things to give them that will keep them busy - chickens can get bored if they don't have chicken things to do - give them scratch in their run, a place to dust bathe, roosts in the run, I think I've seen a picture where someone strung up a half head of lettuce just above their beaks but not out of reach for them to 'peck' at - when they pecked, the lettuce moved, but they would still be able to peck some (cheap entertainment).

In the coop, have plenty of bedding so that they can make nests - mine are always moving the bedding around and hate when the bedding is not deep enough - they'll squak loudly at me when I work in the coop - if I add plenty of new bedding, they are busy setting up house and I don't hear a peep from them.

Good luck

Can you let them out to eat bugs and grass and things? My normally quiet birds put up quite a fuss when they don't get let out!

Two things maybe they seem louder than they are because you are concious of them maybe getting you busted.
The other is i dont think chicken p olice come around only a nrighbor complaint would do it.I would be super friendly to my neighbors and give them free eggs often as a bribe to notcall you in because only a neighbor complaint will get you busted.They probably already have heard them at times so give them a silence incentive

lol i must say it was a funny post
gig.gif
why do you not try some pheasant species like reeves, swinhoe and some quail they are often quiet

Hi,

I have 3 RIR hens among others, and my 2 yr-old RIR is very noisy at times. The two younger RIR's are not noisy at all, so I guess it's an individual thing.

Wow..I have 6 RIR Pullets in my backyard where we are to have NO farm animals..However, all of mine are contained in a Chicken Tractor... All 6 of mine are so quiet, with only sooth clucking sounds..Mine are 18 weeks old and should be getting ready to lay very soon. I'm hoping mine don't get loud. I go out and talk to mine off and on during they day, they love it..
big_smile.png
I hope yours quiet down some for you.

What about putting a radio out in/beside the coop.
Only feed/treat them when you turn it off... that and the always entertaining swinging lettuce ball... god those chickens love that and a good deep dust bath...

or you could make a chicken scratch toy. you take a pop bottle/gatorade bottle, (whatever bottle) and drill 1/4 inch holes in it. then fill it up with scratch and let them at it! it'll keep three chickens entertained for a LOT time!

Back
Top Bottom