Why are my roosters feet like this

This hen has Scaly Leg Mite.
I first noticed the start of this about three weeks ago. It's got a lot worse in that time. I'm going to start treating her this evening. I only have so many hours I can spend at the allotments where these chickens live and there have been more pressing matters to attend to.
I'll try and take some pictures as the treatment progresses. She is a laying hen so I would prefer not to use Ivermectin. I'm going to use Vaseline for this hen. She is reasonably comfortable with me handling her.
P6271303.JPG
P6271304.JPG

First treatment with Vaseline. I managed to get a reasonable coverage.
I shall be doing this every few days for the next two weeks.
One of the problems with SLM is the mites don't all lay their eggs at the same time. From the time of infestation to the time of eradication new mites are going to hatch and of course these are irritating to the chicken. My hope by regular treatment with the Vaseline is the irritation will be reduced by regular suffocating of the mites.
P6291326.JPG

First treatment with Vaseline. I managed to get a reasonable coverage.
I shall be doing this every few days for the next two weeks.
One of the problems with SLM is the mites don't all lay their eggs at the same time. From the time of infestation to the time of eradication new mites are going to hatch and of course these are irritating to the chicken. My hope by regular treatment with the Vaseline is the irritation will be reduced by regular suffocating of the mites.
View attachment 3168939
They can have them on their face, wattles and comb in some cases.
Edit(Scaly Face)

Back
Top Bottom