Why are My Silkies NOt Laying?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muscovy94, Apr 6, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey yall last summer I hatched six silkies, and that was in the middle of last summer, so why haven't they layed an egg yet? I would think they were old enough, or am i wrong?

Thanks.

2. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    It depends on the light and the feed and maybe on temperature. What's your weather been like?

3. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Its been pretty warm lately. In the seventies. My OEGBs are laying, and so are my other chickens, but just not my silkies. They are old enough, aren't they?

4. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    My silkies are 7 months now - going on 8 and not all have started laying. In fact, other than the two older ones, I believe only one young hen is laying. The roosters just started to crow also.

5. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Do you think I could get any double yoked eggs? Because I hear that when pullets start laying they sometimes lay double yokers and i would like to hatch a double. And I know they would be fertile, I see them doing *it* everyday.......

6. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    I know what you mean!

My silkie girl laid for about a month this year and then stopped and hasent laid for about two months. They dont get very much light though because there in our basement. They would pretty much freeze if I put them outside in Michigan weather.

And I hatched them both out last April. So they just turned 1 year old.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by