Why are people so mean?

Um, so I don't see anything wrong with your chicken. I've been chickening less than a year though, so maybe someone who has more knowledge will chime in. The white spots above her eye - the only ones I could find look like the white down on her feathers peeking out from under the red feathers of her top coat/top feathers. On her head, right above her eye, correct? I just see white feathers...
I didn't know she could have white feathers....

I sharpened it. It's the white dots. I thought mauve it could be like lice or mites. At first I thought she had rubbed on something white.
No she is the angst teenager who can't be near by her mom at all because I just don't understand..
The bigger fluffier white parts above her eye is the down feathers. The smaller white flecks on the feathers around her face look to be feather casings from growing in new feathers. If she’s a teenager then she’s in the phase of growing in adult feathers! The feather casings just fall off on their own or the chickens also preen them off.

I sharpened it. It's the white dots. I thought mauve it could be like lice or mites. At first I thought she had rubbed on something white.
No she is the angst teenager who can't be near by her mom at all because I just don't understand..
The great news is, that your chicken is going to be fine.
It's just some new white feathers.
How old is this chicken?

The bigger fluffier white parts above her eye is the down feathers. The smaller white flecks on the feathers around her face look to be feather casings from growing in new feathers. If she’s a teenager then she’s in the phase of growing in adult feathers! The feather casings just fall off on their own or the chickens also preen them off.
She's 6 months. Aw yay! She's growing up!

Looks like a bit of dander on her. Nothing to worry about. You have good eyes. If I see one of my birds with more dander than the others I will monitor her a bit more closely just to make sure the other birds don't start picking on her. Keep up the good work!

What kind of chicken is she? I have red sex-link production hens (ISA Brown, golden comet, aka red star) and they have undercoat of white down under their red feathers. The very first bit of their feathers are white and fluffy down, then goes into the normal red outer feather. Lift up your chickens' feathers and see their under feathers/downy undercoat - is that similar to what you are seeing near her eye?

Anyway, still nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom