Why are people so weird?

Don't expect your cartons to be returned. Charge for them by raising the price of your eggs a bit. If someone whines about it, tell them why. Go to some of your local restaurants, especially breakfast places. Ask if you can have their empty egg cartons. It's what I do and you will get stacks of them. I charge $3.00 a doz for eggs. If I take them to the feed store, they give me $4.00 (either cash or in trade). Maybe you aren't charging enough? Farm type eggs, free range, sell for $6.00 a dozen in the store here. Even more if they are organic.
If they could only see how factory-raised chickens are treated vs. most backyard owners.
My dog paid me the other day. I was working on tricks with her only to find out she's not motivated by treats. She's motivated by people and things. I had taken away her toys to wash them because she had giardia. Now that shes better I gave them back and she did a trick for each one. Well a couple of weeks ago I was carrying around a small bag of treats for training her. It disappeared. I figured I misplaced it or dropped it in the woods. I went downstairs after training her and came back upstairs because she was barking. There on the couch, covered in slobber, was the bag of treats. My dog is a thief and she paid me back for her toys with her stolen goods!!!
My dog paid me the other day. I was working on tricks with her only to find out she's not motivated by treats. She's motivated by people and things. I had taken away her toys to wash them because she had giardia. Now that shes better I gave them back and she did a trick for each one. Well a couple of weeks ago I was carrying around a small bag of treats for training her. It disappeared. I figured I misplaced it or dropped it in the woods. I went downstairs after training her and came back upstairs because she was barking. There on the couch, covered in slobber, was the bag of treats. My dog is a thief and she paid me back for her toys with her stolen goods!!!
:lau

I started giving my eggs out in grocery bags, the next week all the people I give eggs to gave me cartons. Before that only one guy was giving me cartons, he always gets twice as many eggs as everyone else and when I process a bird he gets free thighs and drumsticks. My biggest problem from people who expected eggs, I give out my surplus eggs to be kind. Lets just say those in the neighborhood who never seem to have a job or hustle up an income are the same people who keep expecting. Those who work, own a business, are retired or disabled veterans (a lot of those in this neighborhood) are super appreciative. Returning cartons just isn't high on the priority list.

I started giving my eggs out in grocery bags, the next week all the people I give eggs to gave me cartons. Before that only one guy was giving me cartons, he always gets twice as many eggs as everyone else and when I process a bird he gets free thighs and drumsticks. My biggest problem from people who expected eggs, I give out my surplus eggs to be kind. Lets just say those in the neighborhood who never seem to have a job or hustle up an income are the same people who keep expecting. Those who work, own a business, are retired or disabled veterans (a lot of those in this neighborhood) are super appreciative. Returning cartons just isn't high on the priority list.
:clap

Why do people you know (friends/family) expect their eggs for FREE??

Maybe I'm the only one with the problem, but I've had several people (people who I do work business with, siblings) just want eggs for free. Don't even offer me any money. My fault for allowing it a couple times. I don't anymore - but WHY??

I had somebody just hand me a carton this morning wanting eggs. She didn't give me any $$, maybe (hopefully) she will have some when she comes back to get them.

Also, I ask clients to return my cartons, I even have a stamp inside that says "Please return carton", have I gotten any back? Nope. I have a family who buys 3 dozen a week and has 6 of my empty egg cartons. Next time she wants some, I will be reminding her I need those cartons back. Never would've thought I'd have any issues!

Okay, rant over :)
I feel your pain. I'm expecting my new layers, 17 wks old, to soon be providing about 10-15 eggs per day. We plan on selling them to friends and family for 3 bucks per dozen, and to others for $3.50 a dozen. My daughter is "offended" that we (my son and I are partners in the new farm) will not give them to her for no charge. I do not know where she gets the entitlement mentality. All of you know that we put forth considerable expense for the cost of the chickens, up keep, food, etc. What really bothers me is that my daughter and her hubby earn over six figures per year! Have they ever offered to help with expenses or help cleaning out the coop? Of course not.

My daughter is "offended" that we (my son and I are partners in the new farm) will not give them to her for no charge.

Nope. No freebies. No rewards for that degree of disrespect. She is getting a discount and, obviously, doesn't appreciate it. Sad really but do not cave in. It's the "princess" mentality. Tell her that, when she comes over and puts on a pair of boots, picks up a shovel and helps clean out the coop you'll consider some eggs as a reward. Don't fret over it. All the more eggs for others that appreciate what you are doing and understand that your effort has value.

Nope. No freebies. No rewards for that degree of disrespect. She is getting a discount and, obviously, doesn't appreciate it. Sad really but do not cave in. It's the "princess" mentality. Tell her that, when she comes over and puts on a pair of boots, picks up a shovel and helps clean out the coop you'll consider some eggs as a reward. Don't fret over it. All the more eggs for others that appreciate what you are doing and understand that your effort has value.
My sister likes to pursue Zillow and found a house in Arizona thats really cheap and is off grid. She tried to talk to me about this like it was a possibility for her. I told her to spend a week at my house. You can pull my weeds in my garden and clean the coop. Feed the chickens and make sure they have water. Harvest the veggies and turn the compost pile. If she can survive that and still enjoy life then maybe I'd think she'd have a remote possibility of living off grid. That place is set up for hogs, chickens, rabbits and goats. No septic; just compost toilets. She wouldnt last a day :lau

Every once in a blue moon, my sister who lives across the street will get free eggs. As in 'Hey we were baking and forgot we need 2 eggs can you provide?". Because she lives across the street. I always make her come here for them, I never bring them over. And every once in a while we have to ask for a cup of milk or something and they oblige and we walk over there to get it.

Some family members (And I use that term loosely, anyone close enough is family for me given the state of my real family) get a discount. Really good repeat customers too. It's small.

The rest get charged what they're charged. Most return the cartons. If it's a one time thing I usually don't expect the carton back. When they don't and I badger them for them if they still don't return them I start to say "Ok well I can't give you your next eggs without a carton, cause I'm running low, so unless you have an alternative method you're ok with - like a bag - you need to bring cartons next time".

Sounds like you just gotta put your foot down and explain that there's costs involved. And if they don't wanna pay em, more quiches and fritatas for you.

Back
Top Bottom