Why are some males good with chicks?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
Does the breed change whether roos make a good father, or is that something you can influence? As in, I’ve seen a serama breeder who has a male sitting on the chicks instead of the mother. That and I read on here somewhere that game fowl make “good fathers” with chicks in some capacity.

Some cocks are simply naturally good fathers. I have heard of certain breeds that typically contain cocks who have obtained adequate parenting skills, enough to raise their own generations of chicks. One of the breeds that I know of to have those cocks, as you said, is game fowl. They have a natural instinct for survival, being the relatives of the Junglefowl. That is an important part in whether or not the cocks will partake in chick care.

I find it more often for the father to take more care of the chicks when the mother is not available.

I have no idea, but my Black Langshan rooster, Ludwig LOVED chicks. He started "babysitting" when only 7 months old.

Rameses, the Blue Australorp (who took his first journey into the wide world of the run under Ludwig's watchful eye), isn't as good with them, but I have seen him letting integrating chicks use him as a pick by running underneath him and then staring down the pullet-in-pursuit.

I have not had enough different roosters of different breeds to make a valid comparison between breeds. My roosters typically ignore the chicks, whether broody raised or brooder raised. I consider this good. I often have brooder raised chicks roaming outside at 5 weeks. They avoid the adults and the adults don't go out of their way to bother them, hens or rooster. I've never had a mature flock master rooster threaten a chick. Immature cockerels are different.

The only times I've seen a rooster actively help take care of chicks has been with a broody hen and when she is having problems. An example. I had one specific broody hen that would sharply turn a corner and walk along the fence when she went through the gate. Sometimes her chicks would not all follow so some would be stuck on the other side of the fence, following along but not being able to get to her. The hen had no idea what to do. She and the chicks were making a lot of noise. The rooster left the rest of the flock and went to the stranded chicks, staying with them until the hen went back to the gate. He looked at the hen as if to say "Not again Woman". Sure wish I had that look on video.

is that something you can influence?
From some things @Shadrach has written, I think having a low ratio of hens to rooster helps. The fewer hens he has to worry about the more he can help individuals. In this regard, two or three hens is better than six to eight. Shad's circumstances have changed since he was in Spain. He may have some observations on this.

Another thing I think that helps is that the chicks are raised with the flock. That way he thinks they are his. My brooder is in the coop so the chicks are raised with the flock. My broody hens raise their chicks with the flock from day 1. He has every reason to take care of his babies. I've never had a bad rooster, one that hurts the chicks.

I think it is luck of the draw...but being raised in a multiple generational flock really helps. Many people start a flock, and then wait a couple of years to add or remove birds. I do not see a rooster like that being of help when one does add chicks.

However, if you add chicks multiple times a year, if you broody raise chicks or have chicks in the flock at 4-5 weeks, well then, often times you might, kind of, sort of, if you are incredibly lucky get that kind of rooster.

Mrs K

I have never had a rooster that attacked chicks.
What's more, in the free range tribes I've observed it is common for the junior rooster in the tribe to keep an eye on the juveniles once the mother has finished raising them.

On the other hand I've had mums that killed their chicks and hens that have attacked the chicks of junior mothers.

However I have only dealt with chicks hatched by mothers in stable free range tribes consisting of one or more roosters and cockerels.

I have yet to have a rooster that will sit and hatch eggs but I know of one case where this happened because the mother who was sitting on the eggs got killed by a hawk when taking a break from sitting.

Trying to span the various keeping arrangements when considering topics like this is almost impossible. But, my impression is from reading this forum and others and talking to other chicken keepers I know, that if if a rooster has attacked chicks at some time and place, it's a rarity.

What happens with imported chicks I have no idea.

Here is the photo of a serama rooster sitting on his chick. I appreciate all of your insights, this discussion is very interesting to me.
E12D40E9-97CA-4CA4-8B4D-D7F0C0925D9B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom