Why are they acting weird?

choose2rejoice

Chirping
Sep 27, 2019
East Texas
My 2 ducks and 4 chickens have been acting strangely (for them) for 2 days. The ducks will NOT get in their little blue pool, which they love. All 6 of the birds are hanging around home base. They even went to roost early. I don't know what's going on with these sweet birds. Frankly, I too, feel a little weird.
Any ideas anyone?
Thank you in advance

Thank you for responding. No cameras. Our dog has been barking a lot at night. Anwe always go out to check. Could this be happening during the day, do you think?
I'm so ignorant when it comes to anything but loving these birds.
What part of this world do you live in?? How is your coop/run set up?? Many predators will hunt in the day, including raptors. Adding your location to your profile will help in determining what sort of critters may be eyeballing your flock.

My 2 ducks and 4 chickens have been acting strangely (for them) for 2 days. The ducks will NOT get in their little blue pool, which they love. All 6 of the birds are hanging around home base. They even went to roost early. I don't know what's going on with these sweet birds. Frankly, I too, feel a little weird.
Any ideas anyone?
Thank you in advance
Game cameras can be had pretty cheaply, these days (at least around here,) as we're smack dab in the middle of hunting season. You can also ask around to borrow one. It does sound as if something is bothering your birds. Contrary to popular belief, foxes and coons will hunt during the day, as will most cats. If one's been scoping out your coop, it would definitely set them off and send them seeking safety (roosting) early.

Game cameras can be had pretty cheaply, these days (at least around here,) as we're smack dab in the middle of hunting season. You can also ask around to borrow one. It does sound as if something is bothering your birds. Contrary to popular belief, foxes and coons will hunt during the day, as will most cats. If one's been scoping out your coop, it would definitely set them off and send them seeking safety (roosting) early.
Thank you MROO. I will definitely seek out a camera. My yard is filled with cats and a dog. I thought that would be enough.

I live in East Texas. I know the predictors are bob cat, coyote, hawk, and even panthers have been spotted. My birds are free range. They have a coop they are shut up in at night.
If they are free ranging then they certainly can be getting sized up by something. Given your scenario game trail cams will certainly help out.

Back
Top Bottom