Why are they constantly screaming?

birdbrain5

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2010
Don’t get me wrong, I love love hearing my peafowl!! But suddenly it is OFTEN. I used to just hear the male once or twice a day. Now it’s off and on all day. The female too! Is it just that time of year, breeding season? Or are my peafowl unhappy? They seem to be fluttering around a lot more too. They are a year old and we’re raised free range until I got them. Now they are in a good sized pen with netting over top, plenty of room for them but of course they see the outside world and pace the fence. I would love to let them out to free range in my pasture if they would stay behind the field fence but I doubt they will. Are they unhappy being penned up? Is that why they are yelling and fluttering so much too? Or is this just breeding season behavior?

Yes, it's absolutely normal for the breeding season. They will be very vocal at this time.

They definitely won't stay within a fence that they can fly over. If they free range they can travel for several km. You say their pen is a good size so hopefully you've researched and know how much space they need. A lot of people underestimate that. Don't forget to allow plenty of extra room if you plan to let them breed.

Pacing the fence is not a good sign but I suppose it depends on how long you've had them and how much time they spend doing that. They might take some time to settle in so a small amount of pacing might be understandable at the start. If they've been there for a while and they spend quite a lot of time pacing the fence, I'd look into the size and/or the quality of conditions of the pen. Plenty of vegetation and resources in there for them to engage in natural foraging would be the best thing for any peafowl, but especially for ones who are used to that.

Don’t get me wrong, I love love hearing my peafowl!! But suddenly it is OFTEN. I used to just hear the male once or twice a day. Now it’s off and on all day. The female too! Is it just that time of year, breeding season? Or are my peafowl unhappy? They seem to be fluttering around a lot more too,, They are a year old and we’re raised free range until I got them. Now they are in a good sized pen with netting over top, plenty of room for them but of course they see the outside world and pace the fence, I would love to let them out to free range in my pasture if they would stay behind the field fence but I doubt they will. Are they unhappy being penned up? Is that why they are yelling and fluttering so much too? Or is this just breeding season behavior?
It's likely due to the breeding season. I have a neighbor that has the same issue he told me that will stop after the breeding season. he told me that will be a persistent period after it but it's not like before

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom