Why are they doing this? Please help

aurorabev

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
Inman, sc
I went out this morning to feed the chickens to find one of my roosters laying on the ground and a few of the other eating it's rear. I am going to have to put the rooster down or should I say hubby will. It just brokes my heart to see that he was just laying there and letting them do that to him. They get fed really well. They have plenty of water and room to move and play. So why would they do that? Most of the ones doing that were the hens. I did see two other roosters. But for the most part it was hens . What to do? Please help!! I am just beside myself. I have never had any chickens do that that I can remember.

Help!!!
aurorabev
hit.gif
hit.gif

Oh I don't think I would worry about it too much. They were preening him. The hens will all gather around and pluck and pick at him until they feel he has been cleaned and received enough attention. The first time I saw it, I was flabberghasted. Too funny, actually. DON'T WORRY!!!
big_smile.png

I assume you're putting the roo down because they actually dug into his flesh. I'm so sorry. I really don't have any info on cannibalism, but it's been my understanding that once it starts it can be difficult to stop. This will get you to the top of the page, so maybe someone with real answers will see it.

Hmm...I would also like to know what is happening, just in case this happens to my rooster and it's normal. Anyone have any ideas? I never heard of preening and do the hens actually draw blood?

if they did draw blood seperate them and give him extra attention and love. he needs to be kept seperate from the rest till he heals. when he does put something on his rump to make it taste nasty. make sure it wont harm them though!

Pine tar (often used as a conditioning dressing on horse hooves) is supposed to be a nice, nasty-tasting but healing goop to put on chickens' wounds.

haha,,,i have one of the meanest roosters around,,,ya should see his tail,,hahaha
lol.png
,,from the babies and hens grabbing a feather when he walks by,,, and he dont even flinch,,hehehe,,,, theres NOTHING wrong with your roo,, he's being the gentleman he should
wink.png

081708_0923.jpg

Back
Top Bottom