Why are they doing this thing that I evidently don't have a word for?

Huskeriowa

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 19, 2010
Iowa
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,

I have searched this site and googled trying to get an answer but evidently I don't know what phrase to use to get the answer. Why do my 2.5 month olds go up to something wood or a leg or whatever and wipe their beaks all over it? I cant figure out if it is some kind of sharpening effort (which I doubt) or some kind of grooming and cleaning method or is it some kind of food finding maneuverer?

Just curious, thanks

Last edited:
Mine do it after they eat and sometimes they just walk up to me and do it. Go figure. Chickens are wierd.
roll.png

Thanks for the response. Its interesting that an animal that will poop in the midst of walking would care if its beak is clean but i am glad to know that now:) Thanks

if one of mine doesnt wipe off her beak quickly enough the others a happy to help her clean her face hahha.. they usually clean their beaks off pretty quick
)O(
Pink

I suspect it's also a sharpening process, kind of like keeping your nails trimmed. They will do it after they eat, much as a cat will clean their face.

Yes. I have mine on sand so I put some bricks in here and there and they will rub their beaks on them. My showgirl's beak was forked at the end and since I put the bricks in he has sanded it down to normal.
sharon

Back
Top Bottom