Why are your runs so TALL?

Right. And not 8’ tall. 🙂. It baffles me when I see a 30x8’ run.
If someone says the run is 30x8, that means the run is 30' long and 8' wide. 8' is easily the width of the coop and standard dimensional lumber length. If the run is not covered as in my case, 6' keeps chickens in and coyotes out.

Like others have said access is a major reason why I made my run walls 6ft tall, I honestly would have loved to go to 8ft tall but with the size of my run it would have easily costed a grand more (having to go from 8ft posts to 10ft, going from 3 ft tall hardware cloth to 4ft, etc) The netting on top starts at 8ft tall and goes down to the walls so it makes it feel a little taller too. I can easily enter my run and walk around, hang out with the chickens, clean the coop, collect eggs, etc. I also wanted it nice and tall to have dwarf fruit trees and large shrubs in my run for the chickens. It also allows you to add a lot of vertical height for the chickens which can add more space and prevent bullying. It also makes integration much easier since the new gals can escape up the perches if they need a break. I feel like the chickens appreciate some headroom.

My first run was as you've described, tall then short. It's been 20years of trial and error that has lead me to no "short" runs. What a pain in the rear. I "thought" I could just get my rake under the short parts or whatever, not sure what I was thinking because how much money does it save really? You have to hardware cloth the top when it's short. Just not beneficial enough in my opinion. Predators will actually hang out on top of short runs but very few want to climb my 7ft. chain link.

Back
Top Bottom