Why Aren’t My Quail Developing?

I'm sorry your quail are suffering.
Here's a picture of the nutritional breakdown of what I'm feeding. See if you can find any differences. I remember in an earlier thread you mentioned that their brooder was running cold, maybe they were spending too many calories trying to stay warm to grow properly? That might also explain why they were so cuddly. Did that stink get figured out as well? I'm wondering if that might be related somehow, now.
Yes the brooder set up was too cold at first so they spent that extra week in the incubator. Once the first signs of feathering came through I retried the brooder and they have been doing well since, although the incubator still gets used on evenings for Chip ever since he stopped walking. He's doing a lot better today though, is actually putting weight on his legs, but is walking on his knuckles instead of his toes again.

They're still very cuddly, all except Dot, who was never the cuddliest from birth. They're the only one that acts like a quail I feel at this point. Rocky's the cuddliest, will cry until you go see him.

The stink turned out to be the food crumbs dropping down the humidity area of the incubator, and going sour against any remains of water droplets. So that's fortunately not an issue anymore! Been cleaning that out much more thoroughly between incubator use now haha.

I would think something genetic related at this point. Wry neck is often a neurological issue. Where did you source your birds?
They were from eBay being sold as button quail eggs, so I know it was already a scam. I was told wry neck was a vitamin E deficiency, hence why I started adding supplements to try and raise their intake, but it didn't do anything for Plum's poor neck.

Have you tried the Sav a chick electrolytes and probiotics for their water? Maybe cut back on all the extras but the starter feed? They do seem to all be growing very slowly and it seems to be as you said, something nutritional otherwise they would have other symptoms I’d think? Where are you keeping the brooder? In your house? Outside? Garage? What is their bedding? Are they getting grit for digestion since they’re getting stuff besides starter feed? These are the things I can think of, not trying to sound like you don’t know what you’re doing! I would be stressed out too if I were you!
I haven't tried sav-a-chick, it seems to be an American product so I can't source it. I'm currently using Aviform which is a blend of probiotics, prebiotics, and electrolytes.

They're being kept in my bedroom, in an old bird cage fashioned out into a brooder area. They only have blue roll for bedding so it's easy to clean (I clean them out 3 times a day). They have oyster shell grit mixed into their feed. It's seriously a stressful situation! I've been trying everything I can think of and advice given but nothing is going right.

How does their poop look? They certainly look thin and malnourished. What type of starter feed do you use? I would suggest cutting out all but the starter. I looked up egg food mix, and it seems like it might be dehydrated scrambled eggs? Looking at several varieties online, they look to have milk, which Quail shouldn’t have. If you offer eggs, offer real scrambled eggs if possible, with no additives. Did the vet test their feces for parasites when you took them?
Their faeces look fine. just a pebble of black and white, sometimes soft and sometimes hard. The egg food I'm using is called EMP Superior Egg Food, it contains no milk. The listed composition contains bakery products, cereals, toasted soya, sugars, seeds, vitamins and minerals, vegetable oils, and dried egg products.

I only took Chip to the vet because of his collapse, the vet was very unhelpful, I don't know if it was because it was after hours or not. He just gave me antibiotics and told me not to get too attached since chicks die so easily. No tests were done other than watching Chip try to move.

I haven't tried sav-a-chick, it seems to be an American product so I can't source it. I'm currently using Aviform which is a blend of probiotics, prebiotics, and electrolytes.

They're being kept in my bedroom, in an old bird cage fashioned out into a brooder area. They only have blue roll for bedding so it's easy to clean (I clean them out 3 times a day). They have oyster shell grit mixed into their feed. It's seriously a stressful situation! I've been trying everything I can think of and advice given but nothing is going right.
You seem to be doing all the things you should be! My only question is where is their waterer? I didn’t see one in the picture but I’m assuming it’s there somewhere :) And yeah the Sav A Chick is likely American, but it sounds like you might have something like it—it’s got electrolytes and probiotics in it. Makes me wonder if the person on eBay has some genetic issues with his flock of quail that you’re dealing with. I’m sorry your babies are stressing you out, I think you're doing everything you are supposed to though from the sounds of it!

Also can you try a different starter?
Quail starter is near impossible for me to find. Every viable looking source is in America only, and don't even allow orders - they ask you to find your local retailer for them. I can only find the German product Gra-Mix, which only has a measly 9% protein (and it dares to be listed as quail feed), and homemade eBay starter feeds, which is the only thing I can fnd with high enough protein. I currently use Watchel Gold, sourced here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07P8TGDTJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3L5ML3ATNF0W4&psc=1

This is what mine get and I only give them this till they’re 3 weeks old...then they get a couple mealworms and some seeds. Maybe try this? You can get from Amazon...
Unfortunately Purina feed is only available on the American version, it is inaccessible here.

You seem to be doing all the things you should be! My only question is where is their waterer? I didn’t see one in the picture but I’m assuming it’s there somewhere :) And yeah the Sav A Chick is likely American, but it sounds like you might have something like it—it’s got electrolytes and probiotics in it. Makes me wonder if the person on eBay has some genetic issues with his flock of quail that you’re dealing with. I’m sorry your babies are stressing you out, I think you're doing everything you are supposed to though from the sounds of it!
The water is both sourced in the jar cap (that Cookie is stood in in the picture) and the rodent drinker. They know how to drink from both but prefer the cap, the water is replaced every 2 hours just because they have a habit of stepping in it. They're certainly spending a lot of my hours trying to cater to them haha.

Unfortunately Purina feed is only available on the American version, it is inaccessible here.
That’s too bad, although the feed you are using looks okay really! Shouldn’t be causing you so many issues so it can’t be that. It must be poor genetic stock...I think you really have done everything you can! They are lucky to have such a diligent owner, poor little guys! I wish I could help more! I know how frustrating it is to have no answers when a living thing you care for isn’t well. :-( Vets aren’t real helpful with poultry unless they specialize in them it seems :-(

I don't think it's genetics, I think it's a nutritional deficiencie.

There was a similar thread to this one awhile back, they were using the same feed. That feed contains way too many different cereal grains, cereal grain type feeds are hard for the digestive tract to process in a efficient manner. That particular feed doesn't contain the necessary trace minerals and vitamins in sufficient quanity for optimum health.

Methionine is way too low, although the Lysine percentage is sufficient. They are needed for good feather development. It's becoming harder to find feeds that contain either of them in recent years, due to the manufactures 'cutting costs', this applies to the U.S. as well as the UK manufactures.

You might find someone in your area that raises quail or other gamebirds to find out what they feed and where its obtain.

Back
Top Bottom