Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
They get some household scraps but not a lot, I had already reduced their layer pellets from 20 % winter mix down to the 18% summer layer pellets. Their free renge area is large and stripped bare, so I can't imagine that it's a food issue, theyre not fat at all. What mystifies me is that they were laying so well through the winter, I took out their light but they had already slowed their output down significantly. I went through the coop the other day no worms, no mites. So I've held off worming them. Any other ideas?
Tony - thanks for your questions.....and helpful advice.... my Dad did the rooster thing once years ago but he can't remember if it worked or not, I though I'd get a rescue off the local classifieds and then assassinate the rooster befor the local authourities and neighbours even figure out he's there.

They should be getting plenty of protein at those levels. Generally, they need higher levels of protein in the summer versus the winter. The amount of crude protein they need each day is fixed. In the winter, when consumption is high, they will do well on a lower percentage of protein in the feed (or scratch on the side to cut a high protein ration a little). In the summer, when consumption is low due to wamer temps, the percentage of protein needs to go up to get the same amount of protein into them.

For example, we feed our red sex-links a 15% ration in the winter, but in the summer it takes a 17-18% ration to keep them laying when it's hot outside and they are diluting the ration by eating low protein forages.

It could be the change in the feed... Did the change throw them off their feed for a little bit?

My broody silkie has started a new movement. We were getting three eggs a day one from her one from my Easter Egger and one from a chicken who just started laying. My silkie is one week away from not being broody anymore. However my two orps sit near her by the nesting boxes and the one who just started laying has suddenly stopped and sits in nesting box across from her and has not laid in 3 days. We have gone from three laying chickens to 1. The orp pullets are sitting near my silkie like its the thing to do. They get good feed scratch vegetables cheese and plenty of fresh water. What's wrong with them? Haaalp!!!

My five girls have been laying like champs all winter, and now that spring has some to the rocky mountains and the days are getting longer and nicer - they seem to be on strike! They are a year old this month. They were laying an egg a day on average, and now we are having 1 and 2 egg days, and they aren't sitting on the nest until very late in the day. IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY! And about a month ago, I went in and there was one egg in the nest and it had such a tofu-textured shell it had collapsed in the nest. Haven't seen one of those since, but I am wondering what on earth is going on?!

My five girls have been laying like champs all winter, and now  that spring has some to the rocky mountains and the days are getting longer and nicer - they seem to be on strike!  They are a year old this month.  They were laying an egg a day on average, and now we are having 1 and 2 egg days, and they aren't sitting on the nest until very late in the day.  IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!  And about a month ago, I went in and there was one egg in the nest and it had such a tofu-textured shell it had collapsed in the nest.  Haven't seen one of those since, but I am wondering what on earth is going on?!
giving my chickens oyster shell helped quite a bit as far as shell consistency. cheese and greens are good for calcium. for the ones who are not laying at all they are probably broody. they will not lay for a month they want to be mothers but at this time they cannot lay eggs ironic

giving my chickens oyster shell helped quite a bit as far as shell consistency. cheese and greens are good for calcium. for the ones who are not laying at all they are probably broody. they will not lay for a month they want to be mothers but at this time they cannot lay eggs ironic
I've had a hen that was broody for 3 months no eggs, before that she was molting and didn't lay any eggs, so it was about 5 months of no eggs. Now She's back to normal.

The poultry people said when they molt to give them extra dry cat food for protein, but not every day--too much salt. It does help.

It's wierd, because none of them spends a great deal of time on the nest.... I wonder if I should put the ceramic eggs back in one to see? Or does that just prolong the agony? I don't have a rooster.... my neighbor would kill me.

Thanks all for the help. I have noted a few feathers floating around, not many, but a couple. I'll take the broody/moulting advice and keep a sharp eye on them.
If they are broody they will stay on the nest for days, weeks. We had to carry one out every other day just to let it get water and feed. Then it would run back into the coop on the nest. After awhile we just let her be and she was fine. She went for days with no water and feed and still was fine. Felt sorry for her, she was just being a good mom.

Back
Top Bottom