Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
Quote:
I am new to the forum and just saw this thread and your posting. O M G your BO was amazing. I have one in my flock and it seems she has taken four days off in two months since she started laying, like a machine. I am curious, is laying that often hard on a hen and shorten their life?

Quote:
Hi Cathy! I have four hens that hatched around the same time and me too, nothing. I live in Ramona, San Diego County and I get LOTS of sunlight. Some have red combs, some do not. None are squatting. I read on the forum that some chickens lay before 22 weeks but the norm is more like 25-30 weeks. So hearing that, I have relaxed a little bit. Hope it helps you. Wow, the chickens are great and healthy and I am the one who stresses out.
lol.png

Quote:
I always keep a light on. It is positioned low and over the food and water. The chickens can get away from the light by going up to the perches. I know some poeple say they should have some complete dark, but the light keeps predators away from my expertience and I have no problem with the girls. When it starts to hit dusk they naturally go into the coop as they want to stay where the light is. I've been under the impression that they need 16 hours of light. With ours we don't have a tiny coop unless it's a broody or sick chick coop, so keeping low levels of light at all times doesn't seem to disturb them in the least. I have 3 4 year olds that still lay 5 eggs a week, so I know what I'm doing hasn't shortened their egg laying span. I keep waiting for them to slow down, but they must work on the energizer schedule. My May 2nd girls are still in the small to peewee size eggs and a few of them havent started yet. The June 23rd girls are just starting to show comb development. I'm assuming your girls are somewhere in between. given enough light and all the other neccesary requirements you should see eggs begin in the next month or so.

Thank you everybody! My girls have just started laying again!! I am guessing it was broodiness..so much to learn.

Quote:
WOOHOO...good for your girls.

I am still getting just 2 eggs a day. But if you add that up, it's 14 a week....and I have NEVER used 14 eggs a week in my life. (Well maybe when my sons were teens, but not recently)

The article that is attached to this post may have answered my questions but I would like to get the opinion of the board as well. I have 6 lovely ladies that have stopped laying completely. I have 3 Autralorps and 3 New Hampshire Reds and they are approximately 8 months old. The have been laying eggs gang busters up until two - three weeks ago. The current conditions are: We live in Michigan, near Lansing and have experiences some recently cold temperatures, therefore forcing us to put the gals in their new coop/shed sooner than expected. So I am thinking that stress and anxiety are the two biggest factors but is it normal that they all have stopped laying? We have not gotten an egg from any of them in almost two weeks. I know that as the days get shorter and there is less sunlight, this will decrease production. Also they are not even interested in special treats suchs as apples or fresh lettuce. They are eating normally with the feed I give them and they are staying hydrated but won't touch the fun stuff.

This is my first post on BYC and I am glad that there is something like this as a resource for first time chicken owners! We love our ladies!
smile.png

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Wonderful folk here.

Stress, be it a change in diet, location or too much roo attention will all affect egg production. Add the shorter days and colder weather and you have a perfect storm for non-productive hens.

Just love them and feed them and keep their water liquid and they will start laying again....whenever they decide to do so.

Quote:
We are in South Central, WI. I hear that some people aren't getting any eggs around here too. I would think it's due to the lack of light as they don't have lighting for them. I keep a light on 24/7 whether it be a night light or a heat lamp. I've found it deters predators and makes it easier for the chickens to find their way home when they dilly dally around out in the hay field or on the driveway. I've heard that it can shorten the laying life of a hen, but I have some 4 year olds that still lay 5 eggs a week so I must be doing something right. My coming 8 month olds are laying up a storm, my 6 month olds are right behind them, and today I got my first egg from my 4 month olds.
ya.gif
If I have an exceptionally naked chicken that needs to be force molted I will separate her and give her some dark. Soon she will be a porcupine's dream. If you wish to have eggs over the long winter that would be my suggetion. Otherwise spring will be around the corner, but for me the only way I can tolerate winter is to bake, bake, bake!

Last edited:
Here in the metro Atlanta area...from 50-60 hens (entirely due to my DH
big_smile.png
), I'm getting a consistent 4 eggs per day and have been getting the same for about 4 weeks. I'm blaming it on the newly constructed, more efficient (for me) digs, combined with shorter days, cooler weather and moulting. Less than usual for this time of the year, I believe, but more interruptions in their habits.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom