Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
My main flock of 19 layers is back up to 12 laying again. That includes many in the 3-5 year old range. I have three other groups as well, but many of those are younger birds.

Good for those girls! I'm seeing my old ladies, 3 to 6+, each laying 3 to 4 eggs a week now that they are done with their molt. Well all except Drucilla who is still mothering her daughter, Pip, who is now laying too.

My main flock of 19 layers is back up to 12 laying again. That includes many in the 3-5 year old range. I have three other groups as well, but many of those are younger birds.

woohoo.....that's wonderful.

I got 4 eggs today. Not sure who is laying, but eggs are eggs, right?

Right! Another layer started production again, so up to 13 out of 19 in the main flock laying again.

Ok, now you are just bragging and that is not allowed on this thread.
gig.gif

I got 4 eggs one day this week, so they are coming back "on line"....but if I found the old egg farmer around here, he would laugh his a** off at my excitement over 4 whole eggs...he used to get 8 - 10 FLATS of eggs daily. However he had an automatic egg collector to gather them with....I don't even have an egg basket (yet). I just stuff them in my coat pocket. (Notice the lack of "s" on "pocket"...so sad it doesn't even take 2 pockets to gather them in)

Ok, now you are just bragging and that is not allowed on this thread.
gig.gif

I got 4 eggs one day this week, so they are coming back "on line"....but if I found the old egg farmer around here, he would laugh his a** off at my excitement over 4 whole eggs...he used to get 8 - 10 FLATS of eggs daily. However he had an automatic egg collector to gather them with....I don't even have an egg basket (yet). I just stuff them in my coat pocket. (Notice the lack of "s" on "pocket"...so sad it doesn't even take 2 pockets to gather them in)

Cass

Watch out when you have those eggs in your pocket(s will happen in good time) so you don't break them like I do. I always forget I shoved some in there and wouldn't you know I smuck em every time. Can't tell you how glad I am that my cell is water resistant. Bet they didn't know it was egg resistant too! What's worse is the keys and the ever present hay I always seem to have in their too. Guess I could make the girls an alfalfa/brome grass spread.

Cass

Watch out when you have those eggs in your pocket(s will happen in good time) so you don't break them like I do. I always forget I shoved some in there and wouldn't you know I smuck em every time. Can't tell you how glad I am that my cell is water resistant. Bet they didn't know it was egg resistant too! What's worse is the keys and the ever present hay I always seem to have in their too. Guess I could make the girls an alfalfa/brome grass spread.

I have a "barn coat" so I'm not worried about mixing egg whites with electronics....but I have a barn coat because of hearing all the stories about taking eggs to work in a pocket, squishing eggs when sitting down, etc.

I am getting up there, 6 a day now. 2 of my Polish girls, 4 yrs old, and consistenly laying. My ee is laying, and my Jerseys are laying, plus someone else here and there!

Question: My flock is running through alot more feed. Is this because of the beginning of laying?

After many months of getting 1 or 2 eggs a day from 17 hens and doing many hours of reading on this thread, I finally discovered that I was feeding my girls way too much corn and not enough laying feed! I have completely cut out the corn (except for an occasional treat) and my production has increased quite a bit!
wee.gif
Wow, just think how stupid I felt, to realize it was my fault! I'm glad I had this thread to turn to - I was worried there was something wrong with my girls. Instead, there was something wrong with their "mom"!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom