Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
Just remember, hens are not vending machines. They are living creatures that are affected by all sorts of external and internal stressors/cues. We are not at 100% capacity every single day and neither are they.
smile.png

You know, I came here this morning to whine about our girls. SH, thanks for the above post. Hits a couple of nails on the head there.

You're welcome!

Oh, this week, I have had TWO hens start back laying after a one YEAR vacation each! Can you believe it? One is over 5 years old, a Buff Brahma, and one is about 4 years old, a splash Ameraucana. Astounding. Now, out of 24 hens in the main laying flock (I have two other flocks), 22 are laying. Most are 3-5 years old.

In the Orp flock, that has a 5 year old, two 4 year olds and a 1 year old hen, three of those are laying. The 4 yr old is the one who stopped again. The 5 year old started after about an 8 month break.

Last edited:
That's so cool Speckledhen!

I love those old girls laying. Sadly we lost Drucilla one of our older ladies. She was almost 9, but a freak occurance took her from us. When I necropsied her I found she was full of eggs in all stages of production. We will miss her. Her two sisters are laying wonderfully right now. The next oldest is Sydney who hasn't laid an egg in a year and a half until the other day when she started up again. She was quite vocal about it too! I was busy repairing something and almost dropped my hammer when I saw her come around the corner just a bragging. Sure enough the there was a Barnevelder egg in the nest box. I'm so tempted to try to hatch out a few of hers the next time the incubator is available. Just curious as to the fertility of those old girls. Well, that and I'm kinda missing some of those that have past and wishing I had some of their genetics still around.

You're welcome!

Oh, this week, I have had TWO hens start back laying after a one YEAR vacation each! Can you believe it? One is over 5 years old, a Buff Brahma, and one is about 4 years old, a splash Ameraucana. Astounding. Now, out of 24 hens in the main laying flock (I have two other flocks), 22 are laying. Most are 3-5 years old.

In the Orp flock, that has a 5 year old, two 4 year olds and a 1 year old hen, three of those are laying. The 4 yr old is the one who stopped again. The 5 year old started after about an 8 month break.

WOW....that's great.

I recently got 11 eggs from 13 hens. I figure that is a good day no matter how you slice it. Now I have an egg eater in the flock. ARRRGGHHH!! Have to up the protein and the calcium suppliment.

My oldest hen is just past her 6th hatchday. She hasn't laid in over a year, lives with the bantams, being the last remaining of my original hens. The others died of internal laying and the last had ovarian carcinoma. Sunny shows no signs of any issues, just ran out of eggs, I guess.

My oldest hen is just past her 6th hatchday. She hasn't laid in over a year, lives with the bantams, being the last remaining of my original hens. The others died of internal laying and the last had ovarian carcinoma. Sunny shows no signs of any issues, just ran out of eggs, I guess.

I read somewhere that chickens are just like humans, born/hatched with a finite number of immature eggs and once they are gone, they stop laying. Not sure if it's true, but it does make sense.....that is the case with all mammals, why not birds too?

speckledhen or anyone else with ideas, what would make a hen ACT like she's laying and even go broody when she has never laid an egg? I have a 14-month old Marans girl who has never laid an egg but went to the nest every day like she was laying until 4 days ago when she decided to go broody.

My chicks just laid their first eggs ( 3 oout of 5 chicks) 4 days ago and since I have only gotten 1 egg (the same color & size) a day. Is this normal? I have RI Reds, 2 Black Sexlinks & 1 Golden Comet. Fan in the coop, egg layer pellets, fresh water, scratch & just started Oyster Shell.

I have been having the same problem....I am sure I am doing everything right but getting no eggs at all from my Buffs and my Americanas...

Back
Top Bottom