Why aren't my eggs hatching?

MamaBoats

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
I am using the Genesis 1588 and the temperature and humidity are good I believe. I have the humidity in the 40's to 50's and then crank it up to 65 on the 18th day. I put in 42 eggs and get possibly 10 eggs. I have my chickens free range with their own breeds. Could this be a problem? One rooster has 9 hens, the other has 5 hens and the other has 2 hens. I am not getting the output I expected at all. Thanks for your help in advance.

one rooster can handle 9 hens ..are you candeling them are they getting fertalized and just not hatching or do you think they are unfertalized ? are they all mature ?

My Genesis 1588 is 10% off in the humidity department. It will say 25% and it will be 35% - so keep that in mind. Get a hydrometer and an extra thermometer.

If the eggs are clear, your rooster could be sterile. I have a roo that has a hard time mating (he's a frizzle, and seems very clumsy). If the roosters are older, that could be a reason.

Any chances of illness in your flock?

I have not always candled this spring but when I did, it appeared to be fine. The very first lot was around 16 chicks but it has gone downhill from there

I have just bought another humidity and temperature thingie so I will put it in the incubator and see what it says. The rooster is approximately 2 years old and no, I don't see any signs of illness. However, the three hens that he grew up with do seem to get more attention than the younger hens. Is this common? I mean, perhaps, he is not mating with them. I am quite busy and can't really sit there and watch. I know most people that hatch eggs seem to have their chickens in a controlled environment which I didn't really like but I wonder if this is an influence?

I have just bought another humidity and temperature thingie so I will put it in the incubator and see what it says.  The rooster is approximately 2 years old and no, I don't see any signs of illness.  However, the three hens that he grew up with do seem to get more attention than the younger hens.  Is this common?  I mean, perhaps, he is not mating with them.  I am quite busy and can't really sit there and watch.  I know most people that hatch eggs seem to have their chickens in a controlled environment which I didn't really like but I wonder if this is an influence?
Mine are all free ranged, and I get lots of fertile eggs. I think only one or two of my hens don't get mated. They are too big for my small boys, and way too small for my big boy.

I am going to set up breeding pens next spring, but right now it's a mixture. My barred rock roo is the father of all my brown eggs, and my silkie rooster is the father of all my silkie eggs. The silkies are the only pure ones I'm getting right now..

He might prefer the ones he grew up with - and avoids breeding the younger ones, but my roos are not fussy. Especially my younger one. My older roo is much more laid back and does not mate even 1/10th of the amount as my younger boy does.

Back
Top Bottom