Why aren't my hens laying? Advise needed!

4theloveofhens

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Hey everyone,

For the life of me I can't figure out why my 6 hens haven't started laying yet. 2 are a little younger than the other four, but still no eggs. My only thought is that they are still too young (and unfortunately I do not know their exact age) but I am surprised to not even see the warning signs that egg laying is approaching.

I got all six (2 buffs, 2 golden comets, 2 easter eggers) around July and they were the typical teenager age (can't remember exact - I thought something around 15 weeks or something?), and now we are in middle of October!

Here are the pics I took today (sorry, can't get the pics to rotate - driving me nuts!):

WHY aren't they laying yet? I live in VA - weather is great, no excessive bug issues, coop is clean, eating layer feed, getting oyster and scratch, I have searched high and low for eggs, they STILL are NOT doing the squat thing or singing any egg laying songs (even if they were hiding their eggs), they did rearrange the pecking order about a month ago but seem stable now. They free range in my backyard all day, all are healthy, happy, friendly. WHY??????

I think they are much younger then you think. They don't have big combs yet.
Mine are 23 weeks and have much bigger combs.

I don't think yours were 15 weeks when you got them.

From the looks of their combs, they're not as old as you were told. Their combs look about like the birds I hatched out in June. My guess is you still have at least another month, maybe two, before they start laying. I wouldn't buy chickens again from whoever you got these from, if they can't even accurately tell you the chickens' ages…

X3 Your girls are very young yet to be laying. Give them a few more weeks. I see some reddening of the comb in one so she will probably be your first layer. Things to watch for as they get close, squatting (your hens will squat down when you touch them), larger redder combs, and cravings for calcium (young pullets won't usually touch oyster shell until they are close to lay), interest in nesting boxes and quiet dark places.

I think they are much younger then you think. They don't have big combs yet. Mine are 23 weeks and have much bigger combs. I don't think yours were 15 weeks when you got them.
Thank you!
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom