why arent my little ones laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by misfitfarm, Aug 6, 2011.

1. misfitfarm

misfitfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Lorimor, Iowa
    I have 3 leghorns, 2 black australorps, 2 silver laced wyandottes, and 1 EE. As of the last two weeks only my EE and 1 leghorn are giving me pullet eggs. They were all hatched beginning of March. Shouldn't I be seeing more eggs?

2. misfitfarm

Jul 9, 2011
    Lorimor, Iowa
    Are some of my birds not known for laying well?

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I have 3 chicks born March 9th and I still don't have any eggs. My RIR has been squatting for two weeks. She's even in the nest box daily, but no eggs. My EE is just starting to be noisy, so maybe it will be a few weeks for her.

It could be they are not ready to lay or the weather is too warm.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    The others will follow, patience! They're not machinery. They can start early or start late or be right on time. You're right at 6 months of age, so they should all start in the next couple of weeks.

5. FeistyChikin

FeistyChikin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Cove City, NC
    At least you've started to see something. I got mine March 5th and they were already about 5 days old and nothing.[​IMG] The only thing I've seen so far is that their combs and wattles have started to get reader. I'm not sure they are even squatting. I think I need to do more research on what that looks like. I have been reading that the Black Australorps and EEs average later. I'm trying to be patient.

6. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    Eggs will come I got mine in march and got an egg this week , and then another egg and then a soft shelled one all in 24 hours and now in 3 days only one more,,,they will and squatting mine didnt really it looks like them just sitting with there wings flexed out a little and sometime the tails goes down..

7. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I have austrolorps, and buffs, all 22 weeks old. Only got 2 eggs from one austolorp so far and she missed a day in between. Eggs will come, just a matter of maturity, I see my birds are getting there but the buff are way slow maturing for me. Still pink and hardly a comb or waddle.

8. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Pure breeds do take longer my bantam seemed to take ages. But yes very red combs and wattles are a good sign eggs are on the way. I also find that when one starts laying the others follow suit. Good luck and hope your ladies start laying very soon :)

9. AuntieE

AuntieE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Philipsburg, PA
    I have 4 rir's and 2 black australorps. I have one rir that started laying last week at 20 weeks-just little pullet eggs every other day, and yesterday I think my one BA laid her first-she would be almost 20 weeks. And those 2 have the reddest faces and combs/wattles. I haven't noticed much squatting. It didn't surprise me with the rir, from what I've read she's about right on time. But I didn't expect any from the BAs at least a few weeks yet. I guess they don't always read the books! [​IMG]

I'm sure you'll be getting eggs regularly soon- Good luck! [​IMG]

10. misfitfarm

Jul 9, 2011
    Lorimor, Iowa
    Quote:That's ok I have no idea what squatting looks like either [​IMG] Who would have thought patience would be so hard when it comes to chickens!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by