Why arent they laying?!

Quote:
Alright! I'll separate them tomorrow. how far should I put them away from the red breasted an the Silver?
An he just new I was coming to look at them I didnt say what I wanted or if I was even buying any.

He probably went and put eggs in all the cages just in case. A friend of mine was given 6 or 8 button quail a few years ago, she had no knowledge of them at all. The original owner told her that she'd gotten eggs from them every day. After keeping them for a year without getting 1 egg, my friend decided she'd been duped and got rid of all the boys.

You should put them in separate rooms if you can, and put the splash and the white in separate pens. Make sure you check out the youtube video. Sometimes, if you play it loud, it will make your buttons start crowing.

Quote:
Alright! I'll separate them tomorrow. how far should I put them away from the red breasted an the Silver?
An he just new I was coming to look at them I didnt say what I wanted or if I was even buying any.

He probably went and put eggs in all the cages just in case. A friend of mine was given 6 or 8 button quail a few years ago, she had no knowledge of them at all. The original owner told her that she'd gotten eggs from them every day. After keeping them for a year without getting 1 egg, my friend decided she'd been duped and got rid of all the boys.

You should put them in separate rooms if you can, and put the splash and the white in separate pens. Make sure you check out the youtube video. Sometimes, if you play it loud, it will make your buttons start crowing.

Thats how we tried pulling back my double factor blue face back in when he flew away... He stayed around all day and I finally built a callback pen an played a youtube video an he wouldnt come around anymore
hmm.png

But I'll try it an report back sometime tomorrow... that is such an awful thing to do to someone!

Quote:

Thats how we tried pulling back my double factor blue face back in when he flew away... He stayed around all day and I finally built a callback pen an played a youtube video an he wouldnt come around anymore
hmm.png

But I'll try it an report back sometime tomorrow... that is such an awful thing to do to someone!

Yes it is, but you'd be surprised how many people do it. I don't do it, but have seen several occasions at the local auction when a seller has eggs in a cage of coturnix cocks or eggs in a cage of cockerel chickens. Sure, some people might be wise enough to put 2 and 2 together, but then there are those who see the eggs and think 'hen'. It happens all the time.
Personally, I don't think I would ever buy an adult white or splash button just because it is so difficult to sex them. Hopefully the video helps you figure it out.

Okay so I tested the Splash an the White separately. I placed 4 outside and kept 1 inside at a time.
I know its the tone that they answer in but im not sure of how to take it,
the splash answered the video in a "WE-WE-we-we" sound and the white answered in a "WE-WE-WE-WE" sound... the splash's answer lowered half way though an the White's stayed hight the whole way.. I youtubed both male an female sounds an Females tended to stay high the whole way through while the male's lowered half way through.. so does this mean the Splash is a male?

Quote:
That is just a locator call, you need to listen for the crow. You'll probably have to keep them separated for more than just a little while....think days or a week.

This is the crow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6J4-kF5zRA

Females'
locator calls are different but it has nothing to do with pitch. If memory serves, the female is 'softer' (quieter) and doesn't have as many 'syllables'. But the best way is to listen for the wind.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom