Why aren't they laying?

The Chickeneer

~A Morning's Crow~
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
Central Valley California
Ok, so I bought 5 quail a couple of weeks ago. They are all brown coturnix, one male, four females. I thought they weren't laying because of the stress of moving, but they have been here for about a month and they still aren't laying. They have an ample amount of food and water, and have good space. Im sure I got my sexing right, so I know I have four females and a male, I even checked it here on BYC. I'm kinda new to quail, so I don't know a lot. Do they not lay in the winter? I think they have enough light, how much do they need? Is it temperature? My ducks and chickens are still laying, I don't know whats stopping the quail. Thanks.

Quail are generally seasonal layers. They lay from spring to fall. The short days of light coupled with the cool or cold days and nights will stop quail from laying.

If you want them to continue to lay, the quail will need about 14 hours of daylight and heat if it gets down below freezing at night.

My quail are in an outside aviary but I give them extra light so that they have about 15 hrs a day of light. They slowed down in the winter to about 1/4th of what is normal. When it got real cold and windy and wet, they almost stopped for a few days.

Do you know how old they are?
I don't know how old they are, but they are adults.

I put a light in their pen yesterday, and i'l see if it changes anything. It has been pretty cold here lately, all the animal's water freezes and I have to break their ice in the mornings. But the quail do have a warm little house with straw straw bedding, so it's not too cold for them.

How long after I put the light in should I expect them to lay?

After adding light, it may take a few days to a week or so before they start laying. If they don't start laying after a week or two, you will need to add heat as well. Don't expect high fertility in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom