why arn't my girls laying ????**UPDATE**

sadieH5836

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
Egg Harbor
I'm new to raising chickens so I was giving it some time but...........ARRR
I want some eggs!!!
I have 2 RIR and 4 red sex links and 2 mix bantys. Great gals but no eggs since the first week I got the red sex links, the RIR's have never layed, nor have the 2 bantys
What am I doing wrong????
I got all the girls around the middle of january.

I checked on my girls today and surprise... somebody layed an egg.
I dont't know who but I'm very happy
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Did you get them as chicks? If so, then they aren't old enough to lay yet.

Edited to add: If the hens were already grown when you got them... Is it possible that they are really old and don't lay much anymore? Or they may not be getting enough light.

Last edited:
Sadie~
How old are the girls, and where do you live?
There are many factors that contribute to their laying... are they old enough, do they have the right feed, plenty of water with vitamins, do they have long enough days, are they warm enough, are there any predators around or anything that might be upsetting them? You never know exactly what's going on, but those are some of the things that we would need to know before we could answer you intelligently.
wink.png

well the RIR's were about 16 to 18 weeks old when I got them. The sex links were hatched in May 2007 as far as the other 2 I don't know. They get extra light in the morning. I give them layer pellets, cracked corn, oyster shells, and a different treat every day, fruit, lettuce, kale, oatmeal, etc. I even had a good friend that is a vet look at them and he said they were heathy and spoiled.

Still not sure as to exactly how old they are, but it could be they're broody (are they spending time on the nests?) or getting ready to molt. Sounds like they're spoiled a little bit, but not enough to put them off laying!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom