Why can't my husband hear me?

Well, AL, you have said it very clearly. Well said and may your marriage last forever!
wink.png

Hubby and I had marriage counseling and the biggest thing is COMMUNICATION and DO make time for yourselves ALONE! It would help to re establish why we were together in the first place. Yes hubby does those things and sometimes I had to take my patience of a saint to the max in understanding him even he told me NOT to analize (sp) him, but try to understand him and why he does it. He knows I would get ticked off if I do not get a response from him. It is important that we acknowledge our weakness and our strengths and how we can communicate more effectively than being critizing each other. NO name calling either! A tap on the shoulder usually takes care of the problem or if he is very focused on what he was doing on the computer, he would put his finger up to tell me to wait one minute or one second) and I would patiently wait for ONE minute and then he would give me one hundred percent of his attention to me in whatever I need to say. I do the same for him and if we can not find the "words" to make ourselves clear in what we want to say or mean, we would rephrase it in a better way to see if we got the message clear. Sometimes it is hard because he is geared to think one way and I, to think another.

We have been married for over four years but been together for eleven. Marriage IS hard work and it does take alot of give and take to make it stronger and longer.

Thank you, you all men, in here responding. At least I can get your inputs on how to do things to get men's attention and give me some more ideas.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thank you and I sincerly wish life is good to you, You made some very very good yet simple points that must be the key to success. We have to know we must make the time, make the effort, do what is right, and let's not forget our children are watching us more than we know. So we had better set a good example don't you think.

AL

Well, I have good news folks! After I posted this last night, and read a bunch of your responses this morning, I talked to him before we left for work. I wasn't mean, rude, accusatory, or anything that might get his hackles up. He still raised them a bit but when he realized I really wasn't going to be horrible to him about it, he started listening to how it makes me feel to be ignored and he just kept repeating over and over again that he never means to belittle me and his brain just has a hard time switching over. I reassured him that I understood and I know men can't multi-task like that. We had a really good talk and he was nice to me all morning about it. Just now he was making dinner and I asked him a question a split second before he turned on the food processor. Normally he wouldn't even hear what I said, but this time it was only five minutes before he was nicely projecting his answer over the noise of the food processor. He may just be becoming the best husband ever.

Mission accomplished, I hope the rest of your day's are filled with smiles and hugs. now go give your DH a big fat kiss on the mouth.LOL LOL:)
smile.png

I would but I have a wicked bad sinus infection. He's being a good hubby and cooking me dinner right now. He'll have to be happy with a peck on the cheek and me doing the dishes.
smile.png

I read this thread over the last couple of days wishing I had something amazing and insightful to contribute... but it looks like you've got it figured out!

Your additude while trying to solve this problem is wonderful. You have been trying to get your needs met, to feel respected and listened to, while treating your spouse with kindness and respect, and I admire that very much.

I was just on another site looking at some quotes from Winne the Pooh and I burst out laughing at this one:

I knew I had to come on to BYC and post it for you.

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.” .............. Pooh

That Pooh... he's a freaking genius.

Back
Top Bottom