Why Can't You Put Quail and Chickens Together

this is a tad old thread but home someone can help out...

first let me say i know that you "do not want to keep chickens and quail in the same pen/run etc." and I am not planning or wanting too.. personal choice dont want to take the chance of anything either way after spending the money to build and buy things to have both types of birds.

we will be washing our hands after handling quail before chicken and vice versa.

the one thing i havent learned from reading the threads on chickens and quail is the more detail of what separate is classified as (as i know no run nor shared closed coop), as after the first few posts its just people going back and forth saying yes its ok and no its not...

so here are my questions:

scenario 1 - if you are using a decent size storage shed.. the quail are in cages (not free range) and the only thing of chicken in there is the plywood walls (plywood top also) of the coop where the only thing that opens is the nest box, to get inside the chicken coop you do so through the run access of the chicken yard and then the outside door of the coop is there... is this still classified as having contact with the chickens or does the setup a division of contact (if that makes sense)?

scenario 2- quail are in the storage shed in cages and chickens are in a chicken coop run totally separate, even though they wouldnt be in separate parts of the yard at all times in a sense, but the quail is always in doors (the shed, has vents, window etc.)

scenario 3- either option stated above would be okay?

the reason for my questions is that i want to understand more of what is classified together when it comes to quail and chickens, plus too want to learn more if the stuff that chickens can pass to quail is due to contact with the chicken literally and or their poop or is it an air borne thing (as im sure quail can give chicken things too i just havent heard of the same amount of cases).

ty in advance
As always, it is better to start a new thread than to bump up an old thread that is hardly related to what you are asking
wink.png

But, to answer, I honestly do not understand your first scenario at all; thus I cannot help you with that.
For your 2nd scenario, I would say that, if the disease (coryza?) is airborne, than no, your idea will not work with the vents and window. However, if it happens to be only transmitted by say, touching your chickens than touching your quail, you would need to wash your hands, change your clothes and shoes and not bring anything-- ANYTHING-- from the chicken coop into the shed. And that, my friend, is not going to happen. 99% of people would mess up those strict regulations.

So, I dont know what to tell you. This would only be a problem if your chickens had coryza.

I'm nervous my quail won't come back to their run/coop if I let them free range. Did you have to coop train them, or do they free range all night too?

Or get eaten. They are snack size for most predators and have no sense of self preservation. Don't free range your quail if you want to keep them.

My murray mcmurry book says no no.It says they should never even be around each other.Pull it up on internet.

I have chukar in a pen with turkeys and 5 broilers. No one gets sick and everyone gets along. It's not recommended though. And if it wasn't absolutely necessary it wouldn't be happening now.

A confined environment concentrates pathogens That's true for ANY species. I keep a very deep pine bedding where i have the birds in contact. The broilers ended up in the pen to save them from the rest of the chickens(200 plus) that kept attacking them.

Back
Top Bottom