Why Chickens?

trampswife

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
I've been pondering why we decided to get chickens. There are several reasons, in our home. First, I'm a sucker for anything cute and fuzzy. It's true. Second, I started getting eggs from a friend of ours and they were so much better (also discovered that DD could eat them in small amounts with no allergic reaction). Finally, I remember helping my grandma with her chickens. So a bit of nostalgia with that. Finally, we want to be a bit more self-sufficient and this is a start, with the goats and the couple of cows.

How about all of you?

~Trampswife

I've been pondering why we decided to get chickens. There are several reasons, in our home. First, I'm a sucker for anything cute and fuzzy. It's true. Second, I started getting eggs from a friend of ours and they were so much better (also discovered that DD could eat them in small amounts with no allergic reaction). Finally, I remember helping my grandma with her chickens. So a bit of nostalgia with that. Finally, we want to be a bit more self-sufficient and this is a start, with the goats and the couple of cows.

How about all of you?

~Trampswife

Some with me for all of those reasons. Also, chickens are just a lot of fun to raise. They come in such a wonderful variety of colors and personalities. Watching their antics is very entertaining; better than watching TV, and watching them forage is very relaxing. And raising chickens is a great experience for children. My children loved our chickens, made lap pets of a number of them, and loved gathering their eggs. I forged strong bonds with my children while we were tending the chickens, and now it's happening again with my granddaughter (pictured in my avatar), who loves our chickens.

I love watching my chickens. When I have a rough day, I find it very relaxing to go out and just watch the chickens. I love that they follow me around the yard. I think it is great that you continue to teach your grandchildren about chickens. I talked to my grandmother the other day and she shared a lot of great information with me for my chickens.

I was 12 when we first got chickens. We were on closer terms with our neighbours (they have three kids; the oldest is 2 years younger than me) back in those days, and I'd jump the fence to play with the kids a lot, especially during summer holidays (we'd just moved to Australia so we didn't know anyone much). They have chooks and when you're young you see cute things and want some for yourself as well, so my mother and I set off for the grain store one day - it looked so close in the street directory but we ended up walking 4 hours return :sick - and got home with a box of chicks. We were so surprised at how tasty the eggs turned out to be, at first I thought there was something wrong with them because they were so yellow :lol: So when those chickens stopped laying we had to get more, and we haven't bought a box of store eggs for 6 years. They are also quite entertaining. We have one annoying whiny one I wouldn't mind getting rid of, but the other two are likeable characters.

I have been living in my house for 8 years and there was this space behind the shed that I wanted to do something with. Was all fenced in and had a verandah just old garden clippings and general crap. Was wasted space. My best friend got some chicks and I watched hers for hours. That day I went home cleaned out all the space made it chicken friendly and my partner made a coop from recycled wood. Nothing fancy. 1 year on have 4 chickens and 3 chicks which we are building a coop within the coop so the older girls dont kill them. Once they are ok we will remove the chicken wire and be happy families (hopefully).

I love finding out about how such a verity of people end up in the same places in a part of their lives. Thanks for sharing your stories!

Back
Top Bottom