Why Cucko Marans and not Welsummers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ging3rhoffman, May 3, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Seems like I see alot of people with Cucko Marans and very few have Welsummers. Why is that?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Don't quote me, but I believe Cuckoo Marans will give you the very DARKEST of eggs.

3. ging3rhoffman

Feb 23, 2009
    Ahhh, okay. I lilke the looks of the welsummer better and just wondered why I seen alot of post about the cucko. I have seen those super dark eggs. I just wanted a darker egg than the basic brown egg so the welsummer egg will work for me. [​IMG]

4. McSpin

McSpin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    If you're choosy, you can get some very dark Welsummer eggs and if you're not careful, you can get some awfully light Marans eggs. My Welsummer eggs are much darker than my Marans eggs.

Welsummers also have the advantage of being more efficient layers. They lay very large eggs and are not big birds. They don't eat nearly as much as Marans and in general, I think they produce more eggs - at least mine do.

5. ging3rhoffman

Feb 23, 2009
    I ordered 2 welsummer chicks from Meyers in Ohio and they should arrive May 27th. It will be awhile before I know how dark their eggs are. I do know that the other chickens that they sent me have been very nice. But I did order the welsummer hoping for a chocolate colored egg to have all the egg colors for a pretty basket.[​IMG]
    Quote:

6. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I have 2 Welsummers. They are efficient layers of a darker than average egg. They also are very talkative and relatively friendly. I got them around 18 weeks old. I haven't seen an egg from my Cuckoo Maran that bought during her first molt. If she is laying it isn't dark. I have 2 CM from Meyers still at only 5 weeks old, so I'll have to see how they impress me.

7. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I have 4 welsummers from 2 different hatcheries. they lay large dark eggs, darker then the marans eggs I just bought. they also hustle pretty well. I have not lost one to a hawk.

8. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    MY WELSUMMERS lay a fairly dark egg with dark speckles .......... very nice looking eggs

9. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    My 2 Welsummers will start to lay in October...I love them though. Very nice birds and seem to be very calm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by