Why did all my baby ducks die after eating.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Paul1980, Aug 3, 2009.

  1. Paul1980

    Paul1980 Out Of The Brooder

    Aug 3, 2009
    Yesterday I went to feed my 3 day old baby ducks. They were fine till about 15 minutes after they ate. All a sudden they started falling and kicking. One by one they all died. Could it be something in the water or is there a disease that kills them after eating? Maybe too much chlorine or something in the chick starter. I have always fed them chick starter medicated and non medicated (depends which one I have currently). All my other animals seem fine. This was really strange and I am confused as to what happened.

    Someone said that maybe because they were thirsty they drank to much or ate too much, but would ALL of them do that.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  2. streemers

    streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    ducks need water to swallow. ducklings can get an impacted craw from eatting and not having water avalible. could they have not had water? could they have had some issue getting to the water dish?
    just a thought but seems to fit

    no medicated feed is a good rule for ducks
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  3. iamcuriositycat

    iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I am so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

    Some ingredients in medicated chick feed are poisonous to ducklings. Did you recently change brands? Or perhaps the company just changed their recipe. At any rate, it is generally recommended to never use medicated feed, because of the dangers to the ducklings. If I had to guess, I would say that is what happened to your ducklings, but of course there are many potential factors.

    I hope you're able to figure it out. If you have Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, there is a section in there about performing a "post-mortem" that might help you determine what happened.

    That really stinks, and I feel for you. Good luck.

  4. Paul1980

    Paul1980 Out Of The Brooder

    Aug 3, 2009
    They did have plenty of water available. So to much chlorine in drinking wouldn't kill them? It must have been the chick starter. It was as if they were poisoned. Wasn't a pretty sight to see them go like that. I have fed ducks the same way for years and never had this happen.
  5. Wifezilla

    Wifezilla Positively Ducky

    Oct 2, 2008
    If there was mold in the food, that could kill them.
  6. What medication is in the chick starter?
  7. Paul1980

    Paul1980 Out Of The Brooder

    Aug 3, 2009
    I am going to check on what medication is in it when I get home. Good question!
  8. Katy

    Katy Flock Mistress

    Amprol/amprolium is ok.
  9. I doubt a medication would kill them that quickly, but I think molds have have some toxins that may. Just a guess.
  10. Cetawin

    Cetawin Chicken Beader

    Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so sorry for your losses. It sounds like moldy or bad food. The medicated starter, if the wrong medication in it, would take longer than that. How old were the ducklings?

    My first thought was choking i.e. not having water available for them when they ate but as you had water aailable, I would be looking at the food as the source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by