Why did I bother??????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crj, Dec 15, 2010.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I feel I made my ducks a pretty nice, comfy coop. I use to close the ducks in there during the summer but it got to hot for them. Now, it's freezing cold and the goofy ducks are sleeping outside. They never go in the coop anymore except for one that lays an egg. I even put a light in there to keep a section warm for them. Instead of sleeping in the hay and pine shavings they are sleeping on the cold ground.

Should I get the ducks in the coop and close them up for the night? They seem ok. It could be me......the thought of such a cold tookus. They are actually sleeping up against the fence and no protection from the wind. I'm in southeastern NC. We don't get snow but we are getting fridged temps........ brrrrrrr......

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Unless the news is pulling my leg NC is getting snow. or so I thought. Don't know much about ducks though.

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I would lock them up. Just to keep them safe for the most part, but also for the warmth.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Ducks are readily equipped for winter with there thick down feathers underneath. They can easily handle cold temperatures even with a little wind. I would however watch it if temperatures get in the low teens or the weather calls for precipitation, if that happens i would try to herd them into the coop. Last year i lost a hen when we got some freezing rain and some low temps.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  5. aussiedude248

aussiedude248 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    Quote:For their safety lock them in at night not only for the wind but from Predators.

6. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    They certainly will be safer inside of a protected area but ducks do not need any heat during winter. They pull their feet up inside their feathers while sleeping and do not feel the cold the same way you do. They are choosing to sleep where they are comfortable .You can do more harm by projecting your feelings onto them. Give them protection from wind, rain and predators and they will be fine.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    News Flash Folks .................. They are DUCK'S !!!!!!!! they just so happen to love the cold, no need to slam them up into a coop. Most of you Duck folks don't actually know you are doing more harm than good by warming your duck's in coop's and Bldg's. Just because you are cold the same doesn't go for duck's, if you keep them warm you are preventing their down from forming and it will just make them even more susseptable to a chill. so please just leave them be they are trying to tell you something even though you won't listen.

AL

8. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    Do you feed them inside their coop? I feed my ducks every night in their coop. They know that when it gets dark to go stand by their door and I'll come out to feed them, after they're fed and had some water they just settle down in there for the night.

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I close my ducks up in a coop at night but the south side of the coop is fence. It is about 10' tall also. I lock them up just to help the LGD because she likes to go the entire perimeter of the farm at night and if she is on the other side I fear something will slink in and grab a sleeping duck. My LGD would be very upset.
    The ducks are fine with the cold but they do have a wind block since this faces south. The chickens are right beside them but I have a tarp over most of their fenced area and of course, the other 3 sides are closed in.
    My ducks even go swimming once I bust the ice off the pools. They can handle cold very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by