WHY did I hatch so many roos?

Quote:
If I ever hatch 1800+ eggs the only thing I can be sure of is I'll be divorced.
smile.png

um did you ever think if you would have hatch another bator full you could have gotten mostly pullets since your % was so bad towards the roo end?
hide.gif
LOL I had 75 % roos this year
sad.png

Quote:
That's about what my percentage was too.

Oh well, there's always next year.

Quote:
That's about what my percentage was too.

Oh well, there's always next year.

yeah and I cant wait--babies everywhere! Except this year I will be hatching my own eggs!!!! yeah-the roos become BBQ dinner at 8-10 weeks old even though they are small-when I had 30+ roos hatched out I cant imagine how much food I would have gone through if I would have kept them longer!

I thought a higher temp produced more roos and a lower temp produced more hens. I heard that somewhere, I think. Course, if it were true there would be a lot better odds that your box of chicks from the hatchery would be what you wanted...lol

It happens. Last year I hatched all pullets to the point I barely kept enough roos to have chicks of various breeds this year. This year I hatched all roos so I didn't have enough extra pullets to sell a single one.

I've decided to let the Broodys do the hatching from now on. Out of 13 I hatched in the incubator I got 8 Roos. In the spring I felt sorry for a determined broody & gave her only 2 eggs. She gave me 2 Hens!. Then later in the summer I gave another determined broody 4 eggs & she gave me 3 Hens & 1 Roo. I say broodys all the way here, I put my incubator away.

I got a dozen hatching eggs once. Put 'em under a broody. They all hatched. Every one of them was a rooster. Every single one!!!

Back
Top Bottom