WHY did I hatch so many roos?

keesmom

Free Ranging
12 Years
Jul 28, 2008
MA
All but one of my hatches this year were mostly roos. I gave up when my last hatch was 8 boys, 2 pullets. At the end of the season my total was 31 roos and only 11 pullets. I used both an LG forced air incubator and a Brinsea ECO 20.

Is there anything I'm doing that would cause far more roos to hatch than pullets? Or did I just have really bad luck?

-Cindy

Oh, forgot one other hatch. So my total for the year was 35 roos, 12 pullets.

Last edited:
It's the luck of the draw. If you get to around 100 chicks, it tends to even out to about 50/50 pullets/roos.

Look at it like you are raising food for your family. Thats what we do with our extras. I also plan to keep a back up roo for each flock in case I lose the main one.

When you hatch in small quantities it usually happens more cockerels than pullets. Trust me I've been hatching all year long 2 doz. or so at a time with 4 incubators going! I am the Queen of Rooster hatches!!! Freezer camp!

Quote:
The Langshan eggs I got from you was the only hatch I had where there were more pullets. Two roos and 5 pullets.

I had someone email me for a rooster because they hatched all pullets out of my eggs. So I guess it really varies.

Out of 1805 chicks hatched for me in the last year, it has pretty much evened out to about 50/50.

Maybe your trying to hatch too many pointy eggs, or is it too many roundy eggs?? I will have to research this and get back to ya.
wink.png

Quote:
If I ever hatch 1800+ eggs the only thing I can be sure of is I'll be divorced.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom