Why did my 2 month old chicken lay an egg already?

Foghorn-Leghorn46

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 21, 2010
Alabama
I just started raising backyard chickens about 6 months ago, so i'm still kinda new at this, but i have a flock of Red Stars, Rhode Island Reds, and White Pearl Leghorns. I found a egg in one of the nest boxes yesterday that was brown and very small. So it had to be either one of my Red Stars or a Rhode Island Red. There only 2 months old, are chickens supposed to start laying that early?? and why is the egg so small?

photo.jpg

Last edited:
They all were 1 day olds on June 21st. I do have another flock. 10 Jersey black Giants. There 4 months, and i've read that it takes almost a year for them to start laying. So it would still be early for them too.

Although that is very dark for a Jersey Giant, it is your only possibility. The earliest one can lay is 4 months, which isn' t incredibly rare. I have Araucanas who naturally should begin at 6-8 months, but started for me at 4 months, possibly because of their vastly diverse diet with free ranging.

2 months is REALLY young for egg laying.

It does not take Jersey Giants one year to lay, that is a common myth.

Last edited:
I would assume the normal 21 weeks, but most owners are telling me theirs are taking anywhere from 7-11 months. Mine are 19 weeks old and are beginning to display signs of laying. . . Maybe I'm lucky? Already all my "late bloomer" breeds are actually laying earlier than my "average starters."

Sure thing, I'll email you when they do.
smile.png

Now that I noticed your whole image is dark though, those are certainly Jersey Giant eggs - At first those looked dark brown, but I noticed your whole picture is dark, so yeah. . . If the egg is kind of pink or light brown in color, it's a Jersey Giant egg. And congrats!

Back
Top Bottom