Why did my brown egg layers just lay a white egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Yardvark, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Yardvark

Yardvark New Egg

Oct 8, 2009
    I have two RI Reds and a Plymouth Rock. All lay brown eggs, but today one of them produced a fully formed and hardened white egg. Is this just a fluke? Or an indication? It looks fine. Is it safe to eat?

2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    Is there any chance that the birds might be cross breeds? Could you post a picture of them to be sure of the breeds? I have never personally had a brown egg layer lay a white egg but maybe some of the more experienced people here can offer a good explanation.

3. deeretruck

deeretruck New Egg

Aug 16, 2009
    Gates, NC
    One of my buffs layed a perfect white egg just as it would come from the store. They just started laying though a month ago and it was one of their first. I thought maybe she was just unexperienced.[​IMG]

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yep, it's a fluke. Happens sometimes.

Absolutely you can and should eat it!

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    The brown pigment is the last to be deposited on the shell and sometimes they get laid early. It's just a fluke like shell-less eggs and such that happen every now and again.

We have 2500 Hisex Browns and I see a couple of "rubber" and white eggs everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by