Why did my chick die and how can I prevent it from happening again?

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
I have chicks that are about 2,5 weeks old. They've all been very active and seeming healthy. Then when I went to check on them last night, I noticed one was looking lethargic, breathing quickly and when I held it up, I heard a clicking sound. Fearing it was something contagious I separated it from the others, but a few hours later it was dead. No discharge of any kind, nothing else to note that I've noticed before it died. Now I'm really worried the others might have caught whatever it had. They all seem fine now.

The chick that died was smaller than the others. I believe it was one of the last two to hatch, and while the others had grown feathers on their backs and tail, this one only had feathers on its wings. After it had died I noticed the belly looked a little dark. Not sure if that's normal or not.

I keep them indoors in normal room temperature. They have a heating plate for heat. They eat chick food and occasionally some scrambled eggs. I use towels for bedding that I change twice a day. I tried twice to put pine shavings in but they ate them so I quickly removed it. (Would also be good to know if I can safely introduce shavings even if they eat some, as it would definitely help with keeping it clean.) I change water multiple times a day, though there always seems to be poop in it. I change it whenever I see there is poop in the water, but sometimes a few hours might go by without me being able to check.

The only change the past few days that I can think of is that the weather has been cooler. We've had very sunny weather since they hatched and it naturally also increases the temperature of the room. For the past few days it has been cloudy and cooler indoors, though I do keep a heater on. I wonder if it might have gotten too cold, maybe been pushed out of the heating plate, or maybe it just was weaker than the others to begin with.

I'm very worried the others might get sick and die too. It's my first time raising baby chicks. So I'd like to know if anyone has any idea whether it might be contagious and if there's anything I can do to prevent the other chicks to get sick. I live in a rural area and no meds or equipment are available locally. I have some meds on hand, but not for this. I've been in contact with a vet on the mainland who would get back to me on whether I could get antibiotics to have on hand, though I'm not even sure it would be helpful.

You did that chick was weak to begin with; I wouldn’t worry about the others if they seem fine. It’s normal to sometimes have a weak one in the group and I’m wondering if it got trampled by the other ones. Don’t feel bad, these things happen with chicks. Sometimes they hatch but simply don’t have the energy to keep growing, or there are internal issues we don’t know about. The rest of your flock will more than likely be fine. And no, it probably wasn’t the cold.

You did that chick was weak to begin with; I wouldn’t worry about the others if they seem fine. It’s normal to sometimes have a weak one in the group and I’m wondering if it got trampled by the other ones. Don’t feel bad, these things happen with chicks. Sometimes they hatch but simply don’t have the energy to keep growing, or there are internal issues we don’t know about. The rest of your flock will more than likely be fine. And no, it probably wasn’t the cold.
Thank you so much for your reply! When googling various possible causes I've only come across the clicking sound in contagious illnesses, so it made me very worried. I really hope you are right and that the rest will be fine.

Update: I've been checking on them all day and for the past few times I've been in there, I've heard a sneeze or two. I don't think I've heard that before and there's nothing in their brooder that should cause it. The vet can't get me anything until next week. Are they sick?

Oh, and also I noticed they bathed in the fresh towels like the normally do, but this time they rolled on to their backs too. They haven't done that before and I might be overly concerned, but it looked really strange, like they were half dead. Otherwise they are active and eating and poops look normal.

Thank you so much for your reply! When googling various possible causes I've only come across the clicking sound in contagious illnesses, so it made me very worried. I really hope you are right and that the rest will be fine.
You’re welcome... I’m on my what feels like hundredth batch of chicks.
I would chalk the clicking up to being trampled.... big, healthy chicks are not empathetic or nice to weak chicks. They’re cute, but it’s literally survival of the fittest. You could have also been hearing the struggling of the last breaths. I’m sorry this happened to you 😞 it’s always sad, but if this little baby had issues sometimes Mother Nature knows best. Just observe your flock for lethargy / loose bloody stools / other peculiar symptoms, but I’m sure they will be fine.

Oh, and also I noticed they bathed in the fresh towels like the normally do, butthis time they rolled on to their backs too. They haven't done that before and I might be overly concerned, but it looked really strange, like they were half dead. Otherwise they are active and eating and poops look normal.
Rolling on their backs is also normal, they are trying to dust bathe. It sounds like they’re ready to go outside as long as you offer a heat source on one side of the brooder for the younger chicks. Not sure about the sneezing; it could be anything environmental. But again I would just observe at this point.

Back
Top Bottom